Not Much Power

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Not Much Power

Post by border » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:08 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm
Pretty much any of the older vitara fronts aslomg as theyre both the same ratio. A post on facebook should see you right
Thanks Mate, does it have to be from a 1.6 engine. also what year Vit should I be looking at., a lot I see are Grande Vitaras .
Not on Facebook but will keep looking.
Just a Thought. Might put a post to see if anyone on here would give me a price to do this if I could send the diffs to them, as long as they dont charge Garage prices.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:17 pm

You want to find 4.3 ratio ring and pinions ideally. She'll be revving far too high on 4.6 or 5.1 diffs with 31" tyres.

Unfortunately it's always going to be underpowered up hills with the 1.0 engine and 31" tyres, it will cope much better with lower diff gears though.

You can use 98-04 grand vitara front ring and pinions as long as its not from an XL7. The main thing is getting 2 of the same ratio.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:57 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:17 pm
You want to find 4.3 ratio ring and pinions ideally. She'll be revving far too high on 4.6 or 5.1 diffs with 31" tyres.

Unfortunately it's always going to be underpowered up hills with the 1.0 engine and 31" tyres, it will cope much better with lower diff gears though.

You can use 98-04 grand vitara front ring and pinions as long as its not from an XL7. The main thing is getting 2 of the same ratio.
Thanks Mate, I think there is an 04 Vitara in my local breakers, but might be a bit of a struggle to find another with same ratio. Then find someone more competent then me to do it.
Got my head done in now, Its to good to let go . real head turner, had loads of offers for it. people even following me to ask.
Its really only to get us up and down our place and around the doors . Wont be doing a lot of major off roading in it although its very capable.
I might have a go at lowering springs to under the axle, at the weekend then trying a set of bog standard wheels and tyres , If that does not make any difference then it will be locked in the shed untill I can afford to get it done right, thats if I find the parts.
Do Jimny wheels fit the SJ ?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:15 pm

Your Sj will still be more than capable if it was back to the original spua and on smaller tyres. It's quite a bit of work to swap it back though as new perches will need to be welded onto the underside of the axle with the correct spacing for the 410 spring mounts.

Even just some early 413 diffs with a 3.9 ratio would help a bit. Certain Jimnys have 4.1 and 4.3 diffs as well. The fronts don't fit sj axles but the rears do, you just need to swap in the side gears from your front diff into one of them to convert it into a 22 spline and make it work in the front of a samurai axle.
https://www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/inde ... ing_ratios

Personally I prefer them lower anyway, I think they perform much better on and offroad.

Jimny wheels are the same bolt pattern yes.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:37 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:15 pm
Your Sj will still be more than capable if it was back to the original spua and on smaller tyres. It's quite a bit of work to swap it back though as new perches will need to be welded onto the underside of the axle with the correct spacing for the 410 spring mounts.

Even just some early 413 diffs with a 3.9 ratio would help a bit. Certain Jimnys have 4.1 and 4.3 diffs as well. The fronts don't fit sj axles but the rears do, you just need to swap in the side gears from your front diff into one of them to convert it into a 22 spline and make it work in the front of a samurai axle.
https://www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/inde ... ing_ratios

Personally I prefer them lower anyway, I think they perform much better on and offroad.

Jimny wheels are the same bolt pattern yes.
Thanks Again .
I thought it was just a case of taking springs off, putting them back Under Axle then flipping the U bolts round the other way. in pic
Didn't know that anything would have to be welded on.
Got a set of bog standard 205 wheels and tyres coming tomorrow, will put them on to see how stupid it will look first.
Attachments
IMG_20210104_162449 (2).jpg

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:06 am

The 205s will help and it will feel better but even with standard wheels its gunna be under powered as your gearing is out from standard. If your not wanting to change the diff gearing then Find yourself a vitara carb engine and fit that. With your 410 transfer box it shouldnt be far out from original.

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 am

Engine swap is easier than converting back to spring under axle. Thats doing it properly anyway

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Would engine out of this Vitara fit SJ ? https://en-gb.facebook.com/marketplace/ ... =undefined