Not Much Power

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Not Much Power

Post by border » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm

Right just about finished all the repairs on my 1998 SJ 410, Engine runs perfect no oil or water leaks, But with the lift this thing really struggles up hills, once on the flat it seems OK,
It has spoa lift with 30 inch tyres, It did have extended shackles but changed to standard height and runs better.
Now I dont really want to put a bigger engine in as as I say this one runs good.
So what are my best / Easiest options to get it Running / Pulling better, where we live is full of hills, we actually live right at the bottom of one to :x
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20210102_152754 (2).jpg

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Not Much Power

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm

Its not the lift, the Gearing needs changing to suit them tyres. Your already down on power with samurai axles because the diff ratio is more suited to a 1.3 engine not a 1.0.
Read through your previous posts, its all on there :thumbup:

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:18 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm
Its not the lift, the Gearing needs changing to suit them tyres. Your already down on power with samurai axles because the diff ratio is more suited to a 1.3 engine not a 1.0.
Read through your previous posts, its all on there :thumbup:
Thanks Mate just read through you gave me a lot of advice, Im no mechanic so most of it was over the top of my head , but from what I understand the easiest option would be a bigger engine. I can get a 413 quite cheapish local to me, so whats involved in this swap, can I use my 410 gearbox ? and also will the 413 drop straight in to my engine mounts ?

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:35 pm

Both about the same to be honest, engine swap to gear changing that is. Not 100% sure on mounts, others may know that one. If its a 5 speed box yes.
The engine swap will help but you still wont be where you need to be really. Some vitara ring and pinions will put you back there instead of swapping engines

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:24 pm

Yes I have a 5 speed box now on the 410,
Would changing axles to Under and using standard size tyres make ant difference, what ever standard size is. ?

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:07 pm

No, its not the suspension thats causing this. Its because the Gearing is too high compared to how it was standard.
The higher the number the quicker it will rev through the range (higher number is lower ratio)
The lower the number it revs slower and will do more speed in each gear providing you have the power, which you dont.
So you have gone from 4.1 diffs to 3.7, already thats gunna cost you acceleration. Then you have gone from 27" to 31" tyres this makes it even worse at acceleration.
So what you need is to get back to as close as standard as possible, your options are 4.3, 4.6 and 5.1 vitara ring and pinions fitted in your diffs.
Standard size tyres will help but will also look ridiculous with any lift.
Spend some time, find 2 vitara front diffs the same ratii, swap the ring and pinions and you wont regret it

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:01 pm

Forgot to say as for Off-roading this thing will go anywhere, we tried it out in the snow the other night, up some very rough tracks uphill couldn't fault it that way.

Well All that above is a lot to take in for me :S Although I do understand it now. Even If I could source the parts its not something I would like to attempt myself, and couldn't afford to pay any one just yet.
Might try lowering it by putting the springs back under and smaller tyres, if that does not make any difference, then I suppose we could just use it for off-roading , as there is a few lads meet local every now and again. Spent to much time and money on it now to part with it.
I dont want to go a 100 mile an hour just getting up the hills in third gear would do me. :shock:

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:16 pm

You think its good offroad now, wait till you have the rught gearing.
Its a lot less effort than going back to spua and will certainly look better how it is now. Any decent car garage or gearbox place will be able to do your diffs for you if you provide the ring and pinions

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:25 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:16 pm
You think its good offroad now, wait till you have the rught gearing.
Its a lot less effort than going back to spua and will certainly look better how it is now. Any decent car garage or gearbox place will be able to do your diffs for you if you provide the ring and pinions
Will Look for the right ones, So Vitara fronts, ? which Vitaras fit though ?

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm

Pretty much any of the older vitara fronts aslomg as theyre both the same ratio. A post on facebook should see you right