Recommendations for lift

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
gwoods1210
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Recommendations for lift

Post by gwoods1210 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:50 pm

New to Suzuki's, I'm just starting my project on my samurai lwb. Looking to gain a bit of ground clearance for some green Laning and off road days, presently completely standard on some pretty sorry flat looking springs and looking for knowledge on the way to go.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Recommendations for lift

Post by Jordi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:01 pm

I’ve gone YJ conversion. Bought the kit from Low Range Off Road.

Few others have gone YJ. Either kit or self build. Longer springs, softer ride, more flex.

Can also go RUF (rears up front) and YJ or lift springs on the rear.

Easiest is just aftermarket lift springs from the likes of Llama 4x4 (if they still do them, he is always worth a call).

Depending on the state of the body work an easy way to “gain lift” is a virtual lift, cut the wheel arches to make more room for bigger tyres. Bigger tyres, more ground clearance, minimal effect on centre of gravity.

YJs provide about 2-3” of lift, mine also has wheel arches cut out to get 33s on.

Also depending on what conversion you do, how much flex you want you need to consider longer brakes lines (Llama 4x4) and longer shocks.

Take a look through my build, ScottieJs, Ferris or Dan2k.

Apologies if some photos don’t show, we had a major reshuffle with the forum a while a back and lost loads of images in the process.

All depends what size tyres you ultimately want to run?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

gwoods1210
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gwoods1210 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:39 pm

Thanks for the reply, new to all this so will more than likely ask a few stupid questions.
I'm hoping to go around the 30-31 mark in the tyres I did read the virtual lift guide but am rebuilding a relatively original lwb and dont really want to change anything that can't be undone easily, from what I've gathered so far with decent quality lift springs like ome or others and a small body lift I should be ok with 30's.
What I'm really trying to do is just make it a bit more useable off road without messing up a car that bar a bit of body work is a tidy car that's only done 24k.
I'll have a read up on the things you recommended as I'm hoping to get alot of my parts together for the few weeks I have off over Xmas and hopefully get alot done.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:42 pm

If I remember correctly for 31s some 2” lift springs will probably be enough. A nice easy straight swap too.

On standard springs you can go to 235/75/15s. Slightly bigger than standard and as long as your not ploughing through mega deep ruts and bogs fairly good for laning and plenty of tread pattern choice available.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:34 pm

I'd try get hold of some new standard springs and run 235's, or try a body lift with new springs and try 31s for fitment. Lift springs ruin the ride in my opinion. I was always a fan of spoa lift because when it is done right it's still comfy and gives decent lift. Done right though isn't as easy as it sounds and you would want to widen the track to make up for the extra height.

gwoods1210
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gwoods1210 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:30 pm

I did look at spoa but there don't seem to be many kits available in the UK, if you've got any you can recommend that would be an option

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:20 am

Me personally wouldn't use a kit, I do my own and they're always better than the ones I have experienced with a kit.
Mainly you need a pair of axles with perches on the top welded on at the right angle (I may have some kicking around)
It's mostly reversible and you don't stray far from being original. Where abouts are you?

gwoods1210
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gwoods1210 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:04 pm

I'm in Cambridgeshire near Peterborough, I can fabricate but it's not something I've even seen in person that be able to replicate, so other then relocating the spring perch to the opposite side of the spring what else would be required?

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:09 am

Make new or extend your props, don't use a spacer.
You need extended brake hoses.
Read up on Suzuki half hi steer, you use a Mercedes steering arm bolted to your hub and make a new steering drag link or whatever it's called (steering box to hub) DO NOT USE A Z BAR

If you do a body lift, shackle lift or suspension lift do not do spoa.
New springs with a body lift would give just enough clearance for 30s

gwoods1210
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gwoods1210 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:28 pm

I think for now I've decided to go with some 3" old man emu springs new extended shocks and a 2" body lift, seems to be the simplest way to achieve what I want.
I'm guessing it may be worth fitting extended brake lines but if I don't go for hi steer will I need to change the pitman arm?