Vitara Power Steering mod for larger tyres.

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Vitara Power Steering mod for larger tyres.

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:16 pm

A fellow zuker from the USA has given me permission to put his write up in the DIY section but I thought I'd put it here until I get the chance to do it.

The original thread can be found here

This mod makes a huge improvement in steering power.

I told a friend of mine about it, and he said he didn't need it. Just this Friday he called, and he finished his 3/4 ton axle and 37" tire swap, seems he couldn't turn his tires unless he was moving.

I told him how to do the mod, and in 10 minutes he had me back on the phone, happy an excited he could turn his tires with the palm of one hand (37's on chevy axles)

First remove this cap. It is the cap that has wire on it on a stock 'kick
pumpshim1.jpg
pumpshim1.jpg (78.87 KiB) Viewed 35693 times
Now remove the spring from the cap, and insert a washer that fits inside the cap, and lands on the lip that holds the spring. The purpose is to make the spring more compressed for more tension.
pumpshim2.jpg
pumpshim2.jpg (73.69 KiB) Viewed 35693 times
Once the washer is installed it should look like this
pumpshim4.jpg
pumpshim4.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 35693 times
now you are ready to re-install the spring, and put it all back together.
4.jpg
4.jpg (61.61 KiB) Viewed 35378 times
This will provide more pressure to turn bigger tires.

Now for a further mod. If you look inside that area after you have remove the spring their is a brass piece in there. Remove that brass piece and you will see a tiny offset hole in the casting.
5.JPG
5.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 35378 times
This hole restricts the flow of hydraulic fluid. Use a drill index (found at any ace hardware). index that offset hole, it's actually a very thin orifice. Now find a drill bit that is 1/64th bigger than the offset hole. Drill that hole 1/64th larger. Make sure your lines are unhooked, and after you drill that orifice out flush it with some P/S fluid and you are good to go.

You now have added flow to go with your added pressure from the washer mod. Their is no reason this pump can't be used for heavy demand applications once it's modded and drilled. You might however want to add a small p/s or tranny cooler if you plan on running the steering hard or for long durations in heavy demand applications. Otherwise the fluid will get hot, expand and foam on you (as with any pump)

If anyone doing this washer mod will take a picture of that hole with the brass piece removed I would be happy to mark it, host it, and post it here so we can all see how to enlarge the hole. I forgot to take a picture of that orifice.

I searched high and wide for this info, and it took me two weeks to find the information to properly mod the pump. So I thought I would document it and make the info easily available for those who want to do the mod. Thanks to those who assisted me in my search for knowledge

Some Notes

-- This can be done with the pump in the rig.
-- If you do not see an improvement you have air in the lines, cooler or pump.

#1 The Drill and shim modification works well, and is a long term reliable mod, when done correctly with a good pump and box.

If you are not comfortable drilling the pump, don't. There's plenty of power to be found with a properly sized washer for your pump(all pumps respond different).

#2 A cooler is almost required when you add a washer or increasing operating pressure. A cooler is also recommend with a stock pump when used off road or with bigger tires.

#3 All pumps are not created equal; A thicker washer produces more pressure and can make or break this mod. Some pumps respond only slightly to a thinner washer, so they will require a thicker washer to show any gains. Some work great with a washer the thickness of a penny, or nickel, some need more.

Some setups that didn't work well, or didn't have enough power have ended up working well once a thicker washer was added. It just so happened that mine worked really well from the git go with a penny sized washer.

#3 The hole to drill in the pump is the angled one at the bottom. Drill it larger by 1/64th and no more. Do not to leave anything at all in the pump.

If this hole is drilled too large the box will get more flow, but then the pressure will be reduced. An extra shim may revive a pump that has been drilled to large (no longterm feedback yet).

#4 A pump and box in good condition is absolutely critical. A well used, high mileage, or abused pump & box, will net you an awful power steering setup.

IMHO
It's a good setup, and reliable for the 33-35 crowd. The mod has been working good for myself for four years.Most of the locals have been running this box for the same amount of time with no problems. We also have a guy running one here with hydro assist.

--Sky
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

skyman
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Vitara Power Steering mod for larger tyres.

Post by skyman » Mon May 23, 2011 9:17 am

I thought I would drop by and say if anyone ad any questions, feel free to drop me an email or post up here.

I have been running this mod for 3 years now so far so good :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:43 pm

skyman wrote:I thought I would drop by and say if anyone ad any questions, feel free to drop me an email or post up here.

I have been running this mod for 3 years now so far so good :D
Nice one Skyman :doublethumbs: The write up is now in out DIY section.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Cyprus Geoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Cyprus Geoff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Just seen this Scottie an interesting read. I have Jimny PS setup on my Sami and it is fine but is the mod the same on Jimny's do you knnow?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:15 pm

I think the jimny pump is very similar so yes you should be able to do it on a Jimny pump, i haven't actually don't this yet. I haven't really felt the need for it with 33s and the vit P/S
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Cyprus Geoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Cyprus Geoff » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Yeah me to mate and i have smaller tyres so I am happy but great info!

Jamie_stafford
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jamie_stafford » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm

Anybody know if this will work on a grand vitara 2.0td?
Suzuki, because life's to short to be fixing landrovers!

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:45 pm

not sure mate ive got 31 on pas and you dont really need to boost the pump and Scott has 33's and he said you dont really need to
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jamie_stafford
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jamie_stafford » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:54 pm

My girlfriend uses the grand vitara for work and is constantly Complaining about the steering being heavy, it's just to shut her up really lol
Suzuki, because life's to short to be fixing landrovers!