Lack of Power on Acceleration

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Lack of Power on Acceleration

Post by border » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:24 pm

SJ 410 was running a bit rough and burning oil, but Just been MOTd a week ago, mechanic said he thinks it was running on only 3 cylinders, might also need new piston rings, told me to change plugs.
changed them and made a big difference much more power starting first turn of the key in morning.
This morning it started fine, but struggled to reverse out, finally got it out and away I went but just keeps loosing power , I live on a hill and couldnt get up, struggles in reverse still too. Changed the fuel filter but no difference.
Any Ideas anyone ?

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Lack of Power on Acceleration

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm

Do the simple checks first. Is there mayo in the oil cap? Might be head gasket. Pull plugs and check the colour. Should be a light brown. If one or more is black could suggest a ring has gone. If all is fine change the HT leads for new ones. If that fails maybe the coil. Does it have a fuel filter? Swap that for a new one. Without being there to see and hear it it's tricky to say for sure what the issue is.
If it ticks over...leave it

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:27 pm

donkeychomp wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm
Do the simple checks first. Is there mayo in the oil cap? Might be head gasket. Pull plugs and check the colour. Should be a light brown. If one or more is black could suggest a ring has gone. If all is fine change the HT leads for new ones. If that fails maybe the coil. Does it have a fuel filter? Swap that for a new one. Without being there to see and hear it it's tricky to say for sure what the issue is.
Thanks Mate will check these, the oil leak is getting really bad now, just put new plugs in and it ran really well for about a week untill today. it has a kn filter on, looks clean, ht leads are only a year old still look new.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:47 am

Is the ignition still on points and a condenser in the dizzy? If so fitting new ones and setting the gap is always a good place to start with running issues on the f10 engine. The points need adjusting fairly often.

You can get a dizzy and coil of a 1.3 and convert it to electric ignition as well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:59 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:47 am
Is the ignition still on points and a condenser in the dizzy? If so fitting new ones and setting the gap is always a good place to start with running issues on the f10 engine. The points need adjusting fairly often.

You can get a dizzy and coil of a 1.3 and convert it to electric ignition as well.
How do I adjust the points Mate ?

kiwitony
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kiwitony » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:45 pm

I don't see a place to attach PDF files on this site so here is the SJ413 Manual link you can download. The ignition is covered on pages 212-222. I don't have a PDF of the SJ410 manual but I assume the methods are similar. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NpCCX4 ... sp=sharing About 360MB in size. If you have bother I can email you the Ignition section if you let me know your address. It's only about 8MB.

I made an Electronics Australia kitset electronic ignition trigger about 20 years ago for my SJ410. The points have not given any bother in that time and the engine still runs well despite being drowned several times.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:51 pm

Ordered new points and condenser so hopefully it will work , the old ones do look knackered.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:11 pm

border wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:59 pm
ScottieJ wrote:

They use the same points on the LJ80 so you can find details on how to adjust them in the manual that can be downloaded here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4754
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:38 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:11 pm
border wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:59 pm
ScottieJ wrote:

They use the same points on the LJ80 so you can find details on how to adjust them in the manual that can be downloaded here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4754
Thanks changed points and condensor for new, started a couple of times but rattely and misfiring, obviously gap not right, left it till tonight ,
sure the gap is now spot on but it wont start at all even after adjusting, seems like there is no spark, I must have done something wrong but what ?

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:40 pm

Wont start at all now, new points and condensor, tried spark plug and is definitely sparking so dont know whats wrong now.
Any Ideas ?