SJ 410 Towbar

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

SJ 410 Towbar

Post by HuwJones » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm currently rebuilding my 410 Santana from the ground up. (See build thread http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... 5&start=20). One of the previous owners had fitted a tow bar, but from when I bought it, I have never put a trailer on the back as I don't trust his fabrication skills (I've seen neater bird sh!t). The bracket has bent towards the fuel tank after what must be a emergency stop with a non braked trailer.
So I want to fabricate a new tow bar for it. I was wondering if people could post some photos of their fabrications so I can have some inspiration. I was thinking something along the lines of bolting a cross member onto the underneath of the chassis rail, with four brackets (6mm plate) coming up either side of both chassis rails. Then these are welded onto the chassis rail.
I have no current plans of using a trailer, but I want to make it strong enough so if I do have to tow a heavy(ish) trailer that it won't rip the lot out of the back when I set off!
Many Thanks
Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: SJ 410 Towbar

Post by twiss » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:19 pm

There are a couple of standard towbars you can put on them... I think there's a 1 part type and a 2 part type

I used to have a 2 part type... it had one bit that bolted to the 4 holes at the end of the chassis legs with the actual towball on it (now where my rear bumper is attached), and a second part that bolted to the 2 fuel tank bolts closest to the centre of the vehicle, with a cross brace that went under the center of the tank to the back of the towball mount

Seemed like a good design and protected the flimsy fuel tank guard extremely well!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:37 pm

I used to have the same as Twists has described. Took a lot of big hits offroad and towed some heavy stuff with it. Always solid.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Makes one hell of a bang when you land on the towbar though ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by courior » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Here is a pic of mine.. where the 2 bits go up behind the lights they are simply bolted to the chassis. The previous owner made it out of box section and its 1 piece.. VERY strong. I am going to move the number plate to the rear door and make the arms shorter so the tow ball will sit where the number plate currently is to increase my departure angle a bit.

PS: I didnt forget to paint that red bit... it says "if you can read this your too f***ing close!!"
:)
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Ive got a 410 towbar for sale if your looking to buy on.

Cheers