c o g

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
BabySuzi
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

c o g

Post by BabySuzi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:31 am

A bit of a silly question maybe but does anyone know where the centre of gravity is on a standard sj? I have been looking through the documentation but haven't seen anything.

I have seen some pictures of them on their sides so what kind of angle can they take before tipping?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: c o g

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:49 am

BabySuzi wrote:A bit of a silly question maybe but does anyone know where the centre of gravity is on a standard sj? I have been looking through the documentation but haven't seen anything.

I have seen some pictures of them on their sides so what kind of angle can they take before tipping?

Lets just say your butt cheeks will start clenching long before it tips over :hahaha:

They normally say that a 4x4s centre of gravity is roughly around the height of the top bell housing bolts but this is very rough as it all depends on the width, if you have extra weight up high like a rollcage etc. generally i think sjs have quite a low centre of gravity as there isn't much weight in the body compared to the engine, transmission, chassis and axles etc.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

BabySuzi
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by BabySuzi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:10 pm

I have started sliding out of the seat at about 30 degrees, just up a verge at the edge of a forest. Yep my cheeks clenched just in case I landed on the handbrake :S

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Mine has been raised (too much, actually) and it doesn't roll over unless someone does something really daft. They're pretty amazing.

It's been on its side twice, and both times in situations that would've tipped up *any* vehicle.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:26 pm

My LJ is stupidly high and not very wide, scared me silly for the first few days but I've got used to her now and can chuck it into bends with aplomb. Yet to get muddy but I will very soon, don't expect any problems, but if it falls over, it falls over.
If it ticks over...leave it