SJ410 engine dip stick

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

SJ410 engine dip stick

Post by Pugsley » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:24 pm

I know this is a simplistic question but it's bugging me. I feel that there is something missing with the way that my engine dipstick is fitted. Basically it drops straight in to engine block hole which is chamfered but the rubber/plastic gripping thing on the stick does not grip adequately so it's very sloppy and is just held there by it's own weight. Can the stick plastic gripper be replaced as a part and should there be a guide tube of some sort?

Sorry if this is a bit silly but it's always the little things that remain a mystery.

Ian

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: SJ410 engine dip stick

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 am

ah i noticed this on saturday, a guy came over to my place and we did an engine swap for him on his 410 and he had the same problem, however on the engine we put in there was an extra tube that goes into the block and a longer dipstick. is your sj an early one with skinny props?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:06 am

scottiej410 wrote:ah i noticed this on saturday, a guy came over to my place and we did an engine swap for him on his 410 and he had the same problem, however on the engine we put in there was an extra tube that goes into the block and a longer dipstick. is your sj an early one with skinny props?
Thanks for your reply - appreciated. My 410 is a 1988 Japanese version. I'm not sure about the shafts because I don't have access to the vehicle at the moment (I've just had it rebored/crank regrind etc and as I have no means of lifting the block in, it's at a local garage having this done for me so I can tow it back and fit all the component parts).

I suppose the answer to this is to check with my local Suzuki dealer who seem to want money just for talking to them.

Ian

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:59 am

yours will be a later 410 then with the thicker props.

ah actually thinking about it i've got a feeling it was a rascal bottom end that the longer dipstick came from? i will have a look in my garage for you as i should have a 410 dipstick or 2 lying around and if i've got a good one that seals well i could send it to you.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks for your help - I'll await your next message.

Ian