rotten chassis!

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

rotten chassis!

Post by palo123 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Hello.

After recently taking on my 410 van project I have come to a halt after removing the body and found rusted holes in numerous places on the chassis.

I have got three options:
1.Repair the rusted holes which include the rear spring mounts, inside rear spring mount chassis, front spring mount and one of the body mount cross member have holes in.

2.use a spare chassis I have with minor rust. However, I do not have any paper work for this chassis and am unaware of where it is from.

3. Give up and just scrap the van. It's beginning ro really get on my nerves as nothing is going right.

I would repair it but I don't like the idea of so.many suspension parts needing welding.

Any help much appreciated.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: rotten chassis!

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:13 pm

have you got pics of the rust?

I'm sure it can be repaired if you are a competent welder
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:09 pm

You could try and source another chassis with a receipt from Mike Harris. A simple chassis change doesn't add up to enough points to force a change to the registration number.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Rhinoman wrote:You could try and source another chassis with a receipt from Mike Harris. A simple chassis change doesn't add up to enough points to force a change to the registration number.
It used to be that while the chassis is worth 5 points under the 8 point system, unfortunately it's also under a proviso - you could not swap in a second hand chassis. If you swapped in a second hand chassis, it was off for IVA for you. Or at least, that's how it was under VOSA - the DVSA is now in charge and the rules are all change. I can't see anything on .gov saying that anymore.

However, if you swap in a second hand chassis and then use the identity and number plate of that chassis (basically what Twiss had to do recently) then you should be fine whether or not the DVSA enforce the "new chassis or original chassis" rule.

Might be worth ringing the DVSA. The rules on trailers were also simplified - a friend was buying a car transporter trailer and I rang them, and they confirmed that the old convoluted rules have been streamlined a hell of a lot (you can't be done for pulling an empty lightweight trailer with a plated max that takes your total theoretical gross train weight beyond the 3.5 ton limit anymore, for example - now they weigh the car and the trailer, if the trailer weighs less than the car and the two together are less than 3500kg, they wave you on your way instead of prosecuting you).

So I'd say ring the DVSA and make sure the rules are what you think they are before committing to anything.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Problem is if you swap the chassis over then technically you have swapped the body, axles, engine, transmission, etc of the new vehicle. Its like for like but I think you still need an inspection.
Tbh nobody would really know about it anyway so what are they really going to do...
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Don't know if this is legal but could i just cut the vin out of the chassis i have the documents for and weld it in on the other chassis?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:49 am

palo123 wrote:Don't know if this is legal but could i just cut the vin out of the chassis i have the documents for and weld it in on the other chassis?
That's called ringing and 100% illegal
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:45 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
palo123 wrote:Don't know if this is legal but could i just cut the vin out of the chassis i have the documents for and weld it in on the other chassis?

"hey mate just have my passport cut the picture out and it will be fine honest" :lol:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:47 pm

turbo-tom wrote:
ScottieJ wrote:

"hey mate just have my passport cut the picture out and it will be fine honest" :lol:
Give the guy some slack, he's 17 years old.

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:33 pm

In the end I just welded it up using parts I cut of the other chassis. It took around two days but it all solid.