Tow bar

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Jerryh
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Tow bar

Post by Jerryh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi
I have just bought a 53 Grand Vitara 2l petrol 5 door 4x4 model - Reg CF53CFM, and have a few questions as never owned one before.
The tow ball is missing - it is a two part with the ball locating in a socket arrangement. This appears to be a genuine Suzuki part and wondered if the ball can be bought as a replacement - second hand is fine.
The offside rear passenger door has a large external trim that is damaged - can this be bought and if so from where? The colour is silver.
The engine warning light was on when I viewed the motor, but the garage had this seen to and when I collected the car the light was off. However, on the journey from Oxford to Leicester, the light came back on. Any ideas as to what this could be - no obvious sounds indicating a problem yet.
The motor does not have cruise control, can this be retro-fitted and if so what type fits.
A lot of questions but if in doubt, ask as my old man always told me....

Golfinggas
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Tow bar

Post by Golfinggas » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Just bought a 2004 Jimny which has a rear chrome sports bar. Question. can I modify the sports bar by fitting a tow ball, either welded or bolted, to the bar to maintain the chrome appearance?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Golfinggas wrote:Just bought a 2004 Jimny which has a rear chrome sports bar. Question. can I modify the sports bar by fitting a tow ball, either welded or bolted, to the bar to maintain the chrome appearance?
It's very unlikely that the chrome bar on the back will be strong enough for towing, they are just decorative so will only be thin wall tube.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:29 pm

I agree, the sports bar will have to come off for the proper tow bar.
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Golfinggas
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Golfinggas » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks for your help guys. I have had different opinions as to whether the sports bar could be modified, and personally I wasn't very keen on the idea. So you have swayed my decision I'll get a new tow bar complete. Thanks once again. Golfinggas.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:50 pm

If the engine warning light came on and this garage said they'd fixed it...they didn't. Take it back and get them to sort it properly. As for the trim part I would imagine Suzuki UK will sell it but it won't be in silver, you'd have to paint it. Best try Ebay first for that.
If it ticks over...leave it