Clutch for Samurai

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Clutch for Samurai

Post by Larry » Sat May 20, 2017 8:24 am

Hello all,

I'm in need of a new clutch for my samurai.

Has anyone got any recommendations for what or where to buy from?

I see a few on ebay, some say they are 190mm, and others 180mm. which is correct?

Thanks,

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Clutch for Samurai

Post by Larry » Tue May 23, 2017 6:16 am

Hi folks,

So I've been having some clutch trouble of late. A few weeks back I got stuck in a deep puddle in a p&p site. When I eventually got out the clutch was slipping and I haven't had time to look into it since with work being very busy!

Last night I started to Have a poke and noticed that the clutch cable had no slack at all which I thought was strange. Ive now loosened off the bolt which removed a lot of the slip but still got a burning smell. I slackened it off again and its now not smelling as burnt either! Also the gear Change has improved a little also. This seems strange that this cable would not have caused an issue before. Has anyone else got any experience of this?

Thank you,
Larry

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu May 25, 2017 6:48 am

If the cable tension is different you might have broken something inside the clutch.
I had something similar many years ago... I think it might have been a broken finger on the clutch cover but it was years ago so I'm not sure
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Sounds very likely! I reckon there must be something up with the pressure plate for the tension to have changed. The kind of mystery that can only be solved by pulling the gearbox back for a look, at which point I might as well stick a new one in.

Thanks for the help :)

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:12 pm

We'll I changed the clutch and test driven and all seems ok. Fyi, it was a 190mm friction plate for anyone who may need to know for future reference!

Has anyone ever changed clutch and ended up with a much lighter clutch pedal as a result? Not complaining, but just thought it odd. The only this that may cause this was a decent bit of copper grease on the release bearing?

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:28 am

Yes it's very common modern clutches are getting lighter and lighter I notice this a lot at work I got a lot of clutches !

It may also be because your clutch was so heavy, good you got it all fixed ! Happy motoring !