Decent welder to buy.

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Decent welder to buy.

Post by palo123 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 am

Evening all.
Anyone have any good suggestions for a decent welder to buy? I'm getting sick of using the cheap crap one I've got as the whole feed mechanism is messed up. Im not looking for a cheap replacement as I don't see the point of buying another cheap one for it to just break again.
I'm looking to buy a decent one that will last a good few years and am willing to spend around £1000 - 1500. I'm mainly looking for a mig but have been looking at some multi-process welders and the ESAB Rebel EMP 215ic has caught my eye, especially the smig function. But also been looking at some Lincoln and miller machines.

just really wanting to know if you guys have first hand experience off a decent welders or know of a decent one to consider.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Decent welder to buy.

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 am

Can I 'tack' along with your thread here Palo and also ask for any MIG gas welder under £350 suggestions please?

Obviously buying used is the way to save, what models/advise if going the eBay route?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 am

I really can't fault my R-tech https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-wel ... -i-mig180/

It's a brilliant little welder and I know quite a few people with the same one, no one has had any issues.

I prefer it to my old snap on mig that was £1400 odd new.

It's only worth spending the sort of money that you are thinking if you are using it every day for work, save your money and use it to buy some other tools as well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for the recommend Scott, I might just stretch to that, 'plenty of good reviews which is reassuring.

Should pay for itself in no time, especially as I just spent over £260 for a mobile welder for a day for my MOT :weld:

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm

ScottieJ wrote:I really can't fault my R-tech https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-wel ... -i-mig180/

It's a brilliant little welder and I know quite a few people with the same one, no one has had any issues.

I prefer it to my old snap on mig that was £1400 odd new.

It's only worth spending the sort of money that you are thinking if you are using it every day for work, save your money and use it to buy some other tools as well.
Looks a lot better than my Clark from machine mart and I think it’s only about £40more than I paid
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Cheers for the suggestions. I'll have a further look at the r tech as I have read good reviews about them on various mig welding forums just Thought they looked flimsy. I want a good quality one that will last years as it will not only be used to fab some stuff for the Sj's but will also be used at work very often, which is why I don't mind the initial investment.

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Esab any day of the week.
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:01 pm

The Rtech stuff is good quality and will last.

Another bonus is their customer service is 2nd to none, in the unlikely event there is an issue they will sort it straight away. They even replaced my neighbours torch for free when he accidentally ran it over :lol:
Also my mate Adam thought he was having issues with his TIG and he went up to them with it, turns out he just had a few settings out and they took time out to give him a lesson dialling the settings in. Not many companies will do that for you.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am

turbo-tom wrote:Esab any day of the week.
But you love Landrovers and snap on tools.......It's almost like you like spending loads more on 'brands' that are actually no better and sometimes worse than cheaper brands :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

At the end of the day even a lot of the top brand welders like ESAB are either manufactured in the East or use components from the East. What actually matters is quality control and after sales customer service.

Not saying the Esab doesn't look nice, just you should never rule out some of the cheaper brands.

Personally I'd save money on the MIG and if I wanted a TIG (i do and will be ordering one from R-tech when the time comes) I would buy a dedicated AC/DC unit, you could actually buy both for the price of that ESAB.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm very pro snap on I have shit tons of it, but my welder is no where near as good as the older snap on all copper core welders. The new ones are rebranded ceborq (I know this because I bought one and my snap on dealer is very honest)

All depends what you want to do, but the snap on one is overrated.

Mike :)