Ignition wiring

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Marcusguy1982
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Ignition wiring

Post by Marcusguy1982 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi all just joined. My anus got broken into and they ripped out all the ignition. I bought a replacement ignition barrel but the wiring / connector was different so I have taken a good guess as to how the wires should be (pictures attached). It turns over, indicators and I can hear the fuel pump whirring but it won't start. If I had wired it in wrong would it be able to do all that? It has been sat for a while and have now changed plugs and ht leads just incase but still just turns over and nothing more. Please help! Can anyone confirm the wires are in the right place. Wire diagrams are greek to me!

Many thanks
Attachments
1586362460861346616271596781168.jpg

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Ignition wiring

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 pm

The big white w/yellow tracer (W/Y) is your main live feed going in, its Permanent live. If its turning over in the start position that sounds like its in the right place as I can see the trigger wire is correct.

Black w / yellow (B/Y) is the starter trigger wire and that is the same colour on both sides of the plug. It only goes live when key turns to the start position.

Now here's the issue, Between spanish and jap built they changed wire colours, but then very late spanish built sjs used jap looms :screwy:

Yellow w/green (Y/G) is accessory live on a spanish built or blue (Bl) on Jap. This normally only feeds your stereo and cigarette lighter socket and should be live on the 1st and 2nd position of the ignition, It should be the only one live coming out of the switch in the 1st (ACC) position and only the stereo, no idicators etc should be working in this position. It will go dead in the start position.

What colour is the blue wire i can see, just blue or blue with a different colour? That should in theory be your ignition live so it should only be live in the 2nd position and start position.

If you had the ignition live and Acc wires the wrong way around from the ignition switch it will be cutting the ignition live when the key is in the start position meaning no spark, also the stereo will stay on while you are trying to start it :lol:

If you have a test light or multimeter it should be easy enough for you check to make sure the correct wires are live in the correct ignition switch positions. it's pretty easy to see which wires should be live in which positions in this pic.
ignition.png
ignition.png (165.28 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
Hope that all makes sense?

Once you have checked the wiring is correct then check the ecu relay. If fuel pump is working then the fuel pump relay is working, can you hear it click under the dash when you turn the ignition on and off next to that there's also an ECU relay, might be worth checking that is working as well, just swap them over and you'll soon hear if the fuel pump stops working.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Marcusguy1982
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Ignition wiring

Post by Marcusguy1982 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:36 am

Thank you so much for your help. I will check and get back to you. Thank you again im completely stumped!