SJ410 Brake Drums

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Lin
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ410 Brake Drums

Post by Lin » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:35 am

This is driving me nuts, I have a copy of both the book of lies from Haynes and Suzuki. I'm trying to get the rear drums off the axle to service the brakes etc. The axle is on the bench not the veh (its a spare replacement - long story - don't ask for now).

I've (to all intents and purposes) release the 'rod' by pressing it with a flat bladed screw driver, to move the shoe back to its supposed original position - How can you tell looking through a slot that small??

Whilst I don't have the original tool, I do have something similar and a slide hammer.

So having done done all that I can following the manual(s) how the hell do I actually get the drums off?? I've even tried heating them with a gas gun, but the seem well and truly stuck!

Anybody got any ideas please, I can't get on and use my truck until this axle is in place :(

73 Lin. Exeter.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: SJ410 Brake Drums

Post by Jordi » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:31 am

They usually just slide right off.

When its on the vehicle, hand brake off, wheel off. 4 retaining nuts off and they slide off.

I presume the drum is spinning freely?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: SJ410 Brake Drums

Post by steve greenc3 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:27 pm

You might be able to release or slacken the brakes off, by tapping a wheel stud out, then inserting a screwdriver. If drums are spinning it sounds like shoes are still out and holding on wear lip.