High Pitched Sound on Vitara

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
dellhydro
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

High Pitched Sound on Vitara

Post by dellhydro » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:48 am

Hi,

Looking for some help diagnosing my issue. I recently bought a 2018 Suzuki Vitara S Auto and a few days later it developed a noise when driving. The closest thing I can compare the noise to is a high pitched whistle/buzzing on a phone line. It's a high-pitched sound which becomes more prominent at faster speeds > 50 mph. It doesn't appear to be linked to accelerating or breaking and sounds like it's coming from the dashboard/infotainment centre. I've turned off the infotainment centre, A/C, closed the vents etc. and can still hear it. I don't noticed it on lower speeds and have experienced it on windy and non-windy days. It's making long journeys a bit unbearable as the sound can still be heard over the radio. Has anyone experienced this sound before? I have arranged to take my car into a Suzuki dealer to take a look but I'm afraid they will come back with a 'Can't hear it so can't fix it response'. You need to drive the car for more than 10 mins and at faster speeds to hear it.

I have recorded the sound (it's a high-pitched whistle over the general road noise) but unfortunately am not allowed to attach it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: High Pitched Sound on Vitara

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:10 pm

Take it back to Suzuki and then drive the dealer yourself so he can hear it. The excuses they come up with defies reason sometimes!
If it ticks over...leave it

Anton

Re: High Pitched Sound on Vitara

Post by Anton » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:14 pm

I had something like that happen on a Toyota. Turned out to be an undertray wasn't secured properly. At speed, wind got under it and made a variety of weird noises.

I don't trust the main stealer as far as I can throw the building. That same car had some real weird issues initially - very high fuel consumption, ate tyres and brakes every couple of thousand miles. Main stealer told me there was nothing wrong with it without even looking at it. He didn't even come out from behind his desk.

Eventually I managed to get him to book it in for an inspection. The "inspection" took several days. After the next MOT (actually, the *first* MOT that car ever had), the MOT man asked if I'd been in a crash - a weird question, I thought, since I'd owned the car from new and no, I'd never been in a crash. He told me there was an entire new subframe in the car.

The main stealer pretended there was no problem - probably to avoid having to pay for all the fuel, tyres and brakes it ate while a faulty subframe was in the car!

I still can't work out why it was eating brakes - I guess that was a separate problem, because I can't see how a subframe could cause that. Anyhow, that was nearly a decade ago and the car's still going fine, tyres last 10k+, brakes even more, does 70mpg easily (50 around town) - but I will never go near that main stealer ever again.

DO NOT TRUST THEM!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map