Help Please

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
border
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:03 am

Re: Help Please

Post by border » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:41 pm

More pics, I measured from the edge of backing plate where they join the hubs either side, not sure if that was right or not. So am I right in thinking they are 48.5 SJ ?, Took more pics of T box and engine if anyone can gather more info.
Attachments
IMG_20201021_173233.jpg
IMG_20201021_173249.jpg
IMG_20201021_173547.jpg
IMG_20201021_173426.jpg
IMG_20201021_173322.jpg

User avatar
d_r_1989
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 pm
Location: Halifax west Yorkshire

Re: Help Please

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:43 pm

From where you circled in red i think it is, so that would mean samurai axles. Send a pic of engine

border
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:03 am

Re: Help Please

Post by border » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:59 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:43 pm
From where you circled in red i think it is, so that would mean samurai axles. Send a pic of engine
OK So maybe measured wrong then as there is a gap between there and backing plate.
Do the pics tell you anything as to what axles I have. Here is couple of engine.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
IMG_20201021_173743.jpg
IMG_20201021_173755.jpg
IMG_20201021_173734.jpg

User avatar
d_r_1989
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 pm
Location: Halifax west Yorkshire

Re: Help Please

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04 pm

Its a 410 engine, the axles look like samurai axles and regardless what diff you have (3.7 or 3.9) it will be very sluggish. Your next step is vitara 5.1 ring and pinions or an engine swap. Neither are as straight forward as a straight swap but both relatively easy

border
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:03 am

Re: Help Please

Post by border » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04 pm
Its a 410 engine, the axles look like samurai axles and regardless what diff you have (3.7 or 3.9) it will be very sluggish. Your next step is vitara 5.1 ring and pinions or an engine swap. Neither are as straight forward as a straight swap but both relatively easy
Just what I didnt want to hear, God knows what the previous owner has done to it.
It is my sons he only wants it as a little run around to get him about the place. Didnt really want the big lift for offroading ect but it was the best one we looked at , at the time, or so we thought.
Will try and measure the axles properly tomorrow.

User avatar
d_r_1989
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 pm
Location: Halifax west Yorkshire

Re: Help Please

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:27 pm

If its a 5 speed, a 1.6 engine swap wont be too hard or costly. To be honest, if it turns out they're 410 axles which im certain theyre not, then its harder changing to samurai axles than it is to change engine.
Samurai axles on an sj certainly help with stability and flex, so there might be a silver lining for you

border
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:03 am

Re: Help Please

Post by border » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:44 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:27 pm
If its a 5 speed, a 1.6 engine swap wont be too hard or costly. To be honest, if it turns out they're 410 axles which im certain theyre not, then its harder changing to samurai axles than it is to change engine.
Samurai axles on an sj certainly help with stability and flex, so there might be a silver lining for you
I wonder why someone would build it that way instead of leaving it as it should be.
So do you think that it is the Origional engine in it, Or were the axles Origional , ??

User avatar
d_r_1989
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 pm
Location: Halifax west Yorkshire

Re: Help Please

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 pm

At a guess id say it was a 410 to start with, then someones added the samurai axles while doing the spoa conversion.
Its abit of a mis match but now you know whats what it will make a good easy project into something awesome

border
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:03 am

Re: Help Please

Post by border » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:02 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 pm
At a guess id say it was a 410 to start with, then someones added the samurai axles while doing the spoa conversion.
Its abit of a mis match but now you know whats what it will make a good easy project into something awesome
We were hoping to get it MOTd and on the road in the next couple of weeks or so :D
Don't think its a project I could do on my own as not experienced enough.
What is a Spoa conversion. ?

User avatar
d_r_1989
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 pm
Location: Halifax west Yorkshire

Re: Help Please

Post by d_r_1989 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 pm

The leaf springs were originally under the axles, the previous owner has fitted them on top of the axle which creates around 4 to 5 inches of lift.
The engine swap is alot easier than you would think.
Theres loads of other not so hard mods which help it as an offroader and an onroader

Post Reply