Help Please

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Help Please

Post by border » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Not very god at this stuff. Dont really know how to explain it but will have a go and hope its understood.
SJ 410,
Just put discs and pads all round, one of the rear callipers was seized but sorted now, all wheels moving untill brake applied.
It just does not seem to have enough power, is ok until you stop then when pulling away in first one of the back wheels will spin and very hard to pull away. This is in 2 wheel drive, Only drove it on field as not Mot d yet. Its worse when reversing back in to the shed as there is a rut just before going inside.
Not sure if it is the clutch or something in the rear axle.
Anyone any Ideas,
Thanks Everyone for help so far on my other posts.

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Help Please

Post by d_r_1989 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Sounds like the rear wheel that isnt spinning has a stuck brake still. Why does it have rear calipers, do you mean rear drums? Either way, it needs freeing off some more by the sounds

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:42 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 pm
Sounds like the rear wheel that isnt spinning has a stuck brake still. Why does it have rear calipers, do you mean rear drums? Either way, it needs freeing off some more by the sounds
Sorry forgot to say it has had rear disc conversion. Im sure all brakes are free now and moving as they should. Only seems to do it when you stop in a rut or sligfht incline. ok on the flat,

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:28 pm

If both wheels are spinning freely when its off the ground the rear brakes should be fine.

When you have it jacked up, spin the wheels, press and release the brake. Is it easy enough to get the wheel to spin again? Or is one brake sticking on?

As for being sluggish / hard to pull away, what sort of condition is the hand brake in?

Rear wheel bearings?

Any noise from the diff when you jack it up and spin the wheels?

What size tyres?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:34 pm

Jordi wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:28 pm
If both wheels are spinning freely when its off the ground the rear brakes should be fine.

When you have it jacked up, spin the wheels, press and release the brake. Is it easy enough to get the wheel to spin again? Or is one brake sticking on?

As for being sluggish / hard to pull away, what sort of condition is the hand brake in?

Rear wheel bearings?

Any noise from the diff when you jack it up and spin the wheels?

What size tyres?
Easy enough to get the wheels to spin again after braking. never had a look at hand brake, but cable moves freely , has about 4 clicks.
Will check for noise tomorrow.
It has a 4 or 5 inch lift, wheel spacers ect, big tyres will get size
Attachments
IMG_20201011_114507.jpg

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:28 am

Unless its geared right it will be sluggish with them tyres. Unless you have a working lsd or locked diff then it can potentially just spin one wheel on each axle. When your noticing the one wheel spin whats the other wheel doing? The drive will always go the easiest route.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:01 pm

d_r_1989 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:28 am
Unless its geared right it will be sluggish with them tyres. Unless you have a working lsd or locked diff then it can potentially just spin one wheel on each axle. When your noticing the one wheel spin whats the other wheel doing? The drive will always go the easiest route.
Other wheel seems to be trying to move.
When I say that they spin freely when jacked up, I meant that they do spin but a little force has to be put on, ie they dont just spin using one hand, but still think the Brakes are free.
Will jack it up tonight and check bearings, Should I feel free play in wheel if bearing is knackered ?

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 pm

There will always be abit of drag on the wheels from the drivetrain, thats normal. But should be able to spin one handed. Wheel bearing can be noisy and/or have play. Id double check the calipers and sliders are free, the sliders seize up real easy.
The correct gearing will help with engine performance too, them tyres look like 33s, at minimum you want a 410 transfer box and some 3.9 diffs or higher.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:08 pm

As mentioned above.

If the gearing is out it will be very sluggish and down on power even on small gradients.

Knackered bearings will grumble and you can usually feel some up and down movement if you put a bar under the wheel and wiggle it up and down.

Did you fit new sliders or clean and grease the exisitng ones when you did the brakes?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Cleaned all the pistons tonight on all 4 corners, wheels spin freely now with one hand and very little resistance. drove it round the field and in and out the shed a few times and it is a Lot better but still seems to be sticking / struggling as before but not as bad.
Everything cleaned and greased when fitted new pads. Cant hear anything from bearings and there is no movement on the wheels either direction with bar.
Tyres are 31s
How can I tell if gearing is out ? as far as I know it has the original transfer box fitted. but then again I wouldn't know even looking at it.
Thanks everyone so far far help and advice.
Last edited by border on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.