Petrol Not getting through to Engine

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Petrol Not getting through to Engine

Post by steve greenc3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:36 pm

Sounds like lift pump is ok, have you got a fuel filter by rear axle? The more connections, the more chance of air getting in and fuel running back, could be tank connections or even pick up pipe in tank.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:43 pm

steve greenc3 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:36 pm
Sounds like lift pump is ok, have you got a fuel filter by rear axle? The more connections, the more chance of air getting in and fuel running back, could be tank connections or even pick up pipe in tank.
Well went up tonight and the filter was still full of petrol. it fired up first time nice clean petrol flowing through. Took it out for a spin , went through all gears, it did seem to die a little in 5th , surprised I got to 5th really as its only a little 1 litre, Anyway it ran really well,t back to shed and noticed there was some more crap coming in to filter, let it run and this got worse, eventually stalling, wouldn't start again. Took pipes off again blew through feed pipe, blew in to Tank, new filter and it fired right up again, but loads more crap and crud coming through.
Gonna take Tank off tomorrow and give it a good flush out, Anyone done this before ? Whats the best / quickest way to do this ??

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 pm

Get tank out, drop some decent size nuts in filler, drop of fuel then shake shake shake away. Tip it out and repeat until coming out clean. Try to work out if its dirty fuel or inside of tank rotting away. Has truck been standing for a while?

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:18 pm

steve greenc3 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 pm
Get tank out, drop some decent size nuts in filler, drop of fuel then shake shake shake away. Tip it out and repeat until coming out clean. Try to work out if its dirty fuel or inside of tank rotting away. Has truck been standing for a while?
Just got it , it is a second hand one thats been sat on chassis for a couple of years, I did give it a bit of a clean before I fitted it but obviously not enough, completely my fault I know, but this time I will clean it properly.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:52 am

As said POR15 it.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Been on all day, took tank off and it was not really as bad as I thought it would be by the amount of dirt it pulled through, in to 3 separate filters. first 2 pics before and next 2 after. Anyway done it the quick way, put some nuts and bolts in and shook the life out of it, untill nice clean petrol coming out.
Blew through lines again then fitted everything back together with some fresh clean petrol. Getting dark by now . Tried to fire up but just turning over no fuel getting to filter Yet. Battery not the best and died so charging it tonight Hoping e it fires up tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG