Petrol Not getting through to Engine

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Petrol Not getting through to Engine

Post by border » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:57 pm

All this started after fitting second hand Tank, At first it started and ran but started loosing power suddenly, filter was full of crap, put new filter on and within minuets that was full too. Since then Ive drained tank and got a lot of crap out Blew through fuel line and got some crap out what could of caused a blockage, still would not start, so put pipe going in to fuel pump in to can of petrol and it ran OK , connected pipe back to feed pipe from tank and it took a while for petrol to get up in to the fuel filter but once it did it was nice and clean no crap or dirt in filter and it ran perfect starting up straight away after stopping ect.
Fixed I thought but tonight the filter was empty fuel had ran back in to tank, and would not start at all. Tried pipe from pump in can of petrol again and it started and ran, but now it will not Draw fuel up through to filter from Tank.
Any Ideas this has got me going crazy now.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Petrol Not getting through to Engine

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:26 pm

Blocked fuel lines from sucking crud up from the tank.

Drop the tank. Place a pot under the tank end of the pipe and blow the lines through from the pump back and see if the pot fills with crud.

If the tanks rotting from the inside out line it. Something like POR 15.

Check for leaks in the fuel lines or cracks on the tank where the fuel pick up is. I had a crack where the fuel pick up was on the top of the tank and it was just sucking air.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:32 pm

I have blown down the lines and they are clear now, but not sure whats still inside the tank, when I did get it started it ran great with the fuel in filter very clean. No leaks whatsoever along the lines, I will drop the tank again and check for any cracks but never noticed any.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 pm

Worth checking. Mine just had a tiny crack where the pick up came out of the top of the tank. Enough to suck air.

When i made the new tank lined it with POR. Seems like pretty good stuff. Comes in a kit to clean it, etch it and a coating to seal any minor cracks from the inside and prevent further rusting.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:50 pm

Jordi wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 pm
Worth checking. Mine just had a tiny crack where the pick up came out of the top of the tank. Enough to suck air.

When i made the new tank lined it with POR. Seems like pretty good stuff. Comes in a kit to clean it, etch it and a coating to seal any minor cracks from the inside and prevent further rusting.
Thanks Mate Im pretty sure there wasnt any cracks but will have another look, this is the second tank I have fitted in the last week or so, had them both on and off, can take them off with my eyes shut now, :lol: Might be easier buying a new one, but knowing my luck the problem would be elswhere. #Dont suppose you have a decent spare ?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 pm

My original was knackered. Just made a custom one to suit the mods i’ve done.

Probably gonna need a new one myself when i get round to recommissioning my other SJ.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:59 pm

I have got 3 tanks now but each has something wrong with it, one is decent but I snapped the bloody feed pipe on the top of it, might see if I can get someone to weld another bit on off one of the otheres,

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:05 pm

Plenty of fuel tank places about.

Had numerous repaired over the years.

steve greenc3
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by steve greenc3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 pm

Are you using a short piece of fuel line from pump to can? If so maybe with pump primed, when you connect fuel tank, engine will fire and boost lift pump pressure, so could be weak lift pump.

border
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by border » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:46 pm

steve greenc3 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 pm
Are you using a short piece of fuel line from pump to can? If so maybe with pump primed, when you connect fuel tank, engine will fire and boost lift pump pressure, so could be weak lift pump.
Yes quite short. It will draw from can but not Tank.
But last night I took pipe off line that goes in to tank, blew through it and could hear it bubbling in tank, reconnected pipe and it started drawing fuel through from Tank, once fuel was right up in to filter it Idled smoothly, stopping and starting great, left it last night with fuel still showing in filter but am guessing when I go up tonight it will have dropped back down in to tank., Does this mean the pump is Working OK ? if so whats causing fuel to drop back down ?