Starter motor issue

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Starter motor issue

Post by gsommo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:17 am

Today I removed the starter motor as it was not working properly. I took it apart and found literally a cup iof mud inside it, I have cleaned it all up and put it back together properly using manual instructions etc.

My issue is though, the cog that actually turns the flywheel (to cog that can bee seen at the end of the starter motor seems to be able to spin both ways. So it can turn on the spindle both clockwise and anit clockwise. Is this what is meant to happen or is it meant to be rigid one way. It is just confusing me as im thinking that surely it needs to be solidly fixed in one direction in order to turn the engine over, otherwise it seems like the actual motor will just spin the spindle inside the cog and it will not turn the engine at all.

Is this how it is meant to be or does this mean that it is broken??

many thanks

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Starter motor issue

Post by chan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:06 am

have you refitted the start motor yet? its good that you have stripped it down and repaired it! saved another sj starter! lol

the cog on the spindle will spin both ways when the motor isnt turning.

the cog slides to the end of the shaft and then locks onto the flywheel cog and as you let go of the key to the "engine running" position on the ignition barrel it slides back down the shaft towards the motor!

hope that it explains it mate :mrgreen:

wack it on and try it mate 8-)

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:24 am

Excellent, someone that is up on a saturday night to answer my sj questions hahaha.

Yeh it just seems a bit strange, I understand that the cog is pushed out when the ignition is turned and it slides up the spindle that has the twist in it, its just when it gets to the top the cog is still able to spin both ways.

is it the case that when the motor is spinning and the solenoid is pushing the cog out that the cog is wedged between the end of the starter motor and the starter clutch and so with friction it is tight enough for the motor to turn it with out spinning inside the cog. (sorry if i am chatting rubbish, its so hard to explain).

To me, i just thought that it was a safety mechanism so that when the engine starts the cog can spin freely as to not damage the teeth or the motor or flywheel.

On a seperate note, my steering gearbox is leaking oil. Im guessing this is a removal and replace seal job??

Thanks for your help. More questions about the state of my body work on the way too hahaha. Got lors of pics of the car too inside and out so will post to try and get some advice on possible solutions.

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:37 am

youre not chatting rubbish its all really good stuff! no one cares to look at the engineering involed in such a small thing as a starter motor! its great : :mrgreen:

when the engine spins the cog isnt actually spinning on the shaft but it can if it needs to.
the cog locks at the end of the spindle like you said and then slides back.

have you ever tried to turn your key when youre engine is running? its not a nice noise because the cog tries to slide into the side of the flywheel lol

steering gearbox? the steering box or gearbox are we talking about? im tired to! lol

where is it leaking from?

yeah post all your questions in the right forums and you will get all the help you need :mrgreen:

also post your truck on the "your builds" section so we can all see it :P

gsommo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by gsommo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:51 am

its the little box at the front of the car where the steering shaft goes into and then other shaft comes out of to steer the wheels. I thought haynes called it the steering gearbox, but basically where the directionally movement is changed to steer the wheels.

It is leaking somewhere near the bottom, im guesing a dud seal or something, might just take it off and have a look.

I want to do all the work on my truck myself, really enjoyed messing around with the starter, and if it works then that will be a bonus. I cant believe that it even span with the ammount of mud that was in it. I tried to do a bench test with it just sitting in the engine bay so I could see what was going on, it did not seem to like it and i got a spark and a bit of smoke, i hope that when i wire it up tomo that it wont be dead. Ill let you know.

Ill put my truck on the build forum and get pictures as my project progresses, cant wait.

thanks