Selecting and fitting a winch.

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Selecting and fitting a winch.

Post by HuwJones » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi.
I'm looking to fit a winch on my 1989 SJ 410 Samurai. I have found this one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251200249161? ... 1423.l2649

I think it should be more than enough for the SJ, according to the Haynes manual it weighs approximately 990kg, which is 2182lbs, so 4000lbs should be more than enough. I was planning on fitting another alternator to charge another battery which is only powers the winch.

My other question is, where/how would you mount the winch onto the front of a SJ? Would you bolt the winch onto a plate then bolt that using U-bolts to the round bar in the front?

I have never done anything like this before, so a description and photos will be much appreciated!

Thanks
Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Selecting and fitting a winch.

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Too small. Need 6500lbs to 9000lbs, all dependa on if its for self recovery or recovering others, with potentially heavier (landrover) vehicles.

Based on a quick bit of military maths to recover a SJ at 1t up a 46* slope with damaged axles/tyres in very thick mud/clay/bog the pull required is 3.75t (8250lbs).

That is the extreme example and a safety factor has also been added into it to allow for safe working loads of strops, slings and shackles. You also need to remember that a winch advertised at 6000lbs for example only has 6000lbs pull when it has the minimum coils on the drum. If it has more than one layer of rope on the drum the pull is reduced.

That is an extreme example and a 9000lb winch would easily do for the most stuck self recovery situations. I would say 6500lbs would be more than sufficient as even in the worst case scenario a 2:1 pull can be used.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:30 pm

And if you were recovering the Blandrover out of the same bog up a 46* slope with damaged axle/tyres it'll be 5t pull (11000lbs) so our 6500lb winch could still do it on 2:1.

All of this is based on using the kit correctly and well within its limitiations and design.

I'm not gonna get into the H&S of recovery. My experience is basic to say the least. Thats just my recommendations.

I'm not sure of the quality but i have this earmarked

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1028362174

Also bear in mind mounting it correctly.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Ah, i forgot to acount for the weight of sticky mud etc! And all of that maths.... not my department! Thanks for the advice. Sometime in the next months when i have enough cash i can get on with buying and fitting a winch to the SJ.
Huw Jones
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Estimated pull is rolling resistance + gradient resistance + damage resistance + saftey factor

Rolling resistance is weight of vehicle divided by ground factor (can't remember the ground factors off the top of my head)

Gradient resistance is weight of vehicle x degree of slope divided by 60 (46* and over it is weight of vehicle)

Damage resistance is 1/3 weight of vehicle for one damaged axle, 2/3s for both axles

Safety factor is all the above divided by 4

All numbers are rounded up to the nearest ton.

As the SJ is so light the numbers get rounded up a long way. I'm going to opt for a 6000lb winch one day as on a single line pull it should be more than capable of recovering a stuck Suzuki.

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:26 am

Before buying a winch check out how easy to get spares and the price of them. A lot of winches come from china and don't like to much use and being weathered ie stuck on the front of an SJ. I know this because I have a very heavy door stop for the shed
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 am

The very heavy door stop. I use a transfer box at the moment. Mini gear boxes work very well too.

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 am

Got to have something with a bit of weight them shed doors can slam quite hard :hahaha:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

basil
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by basil » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 am

Jordi wrote:The very heavy door stop. I use a transfer box at the moment. Mini gear boxes work very well too.
Maintenance free batteries are very good and loads about after 6 months use
basil