OS Maps "other routes with public access"

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

OS Maps "other routes with public access"

Post by Jordi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Thought i'd put it in this section as it is to do with going out.

Every time i to laning i want to do more, figured the easiest way is to plan routes myself.

Out of curiosity i downloaded the OS explorer for the Catterick area and to my surprise it does show one BOAT but also the above mentioned "other route with public access". There are a few of these on the little bit i downloaded, usually linking other roads.

I have driven some before, as the route i did from TOR used them.

How do i find out if i can drive them legally?

And yes, i am fully aware i may legally be allowed to drive them but that they may be that over grown you can not even tell there is a right of way there at all.

First stop for the weekend is Waterstones for the newest OS maps! Fine having them on the iphone but the tiny screen is almost useless when trying to plan on a bigger scale.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: OS Maps "other routes with public access"

Post by Jordi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Example for those who have even leas idea about OS maps than me.
image.jpg
image.jpg (392.21 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
The green dotted route
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Wiltshire County council have a interactive map and lists of any restrictions on their rights of way website.

I'm sure there will be something similar or you may need to speak to your local right of way officer.

That access may not mean its a vehicular right of way. It may just be a footpath on a private drive etc..
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:44 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:Wiltshire County council have a interactive map and lists of any restrictions on their rights of way website.

I'm sure there will be something similar or you may need to speak to your local right of way officer.

That access may not mean its a vehicular right of way. It may just be a footpath on a private drive etc..
Guessed as much. I know a right of way on a map is nothing more than a colourful line. Just gotta find out who to speak to and once i know if they are vehicular - go do some exploring!!!

Cheers Dan, i'll try and get some phone numbers and get onto the relevant councils.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Not working on the phone. But when did Durham council get an interactive map?

See if i can find a north yorks one later on.

Cheers Dan, again.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Can't find any maps on the Darlington website but did find this. I've read it before but have never actually found the lane
image.jpg
image.jpg (181.61 KiB) Viewed 7196 times

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:17 pm

http://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/? ... _and_About

You need to turn on public rights of way by checking the box on the left.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:22 pm

This may be best viewed on a computer.

I feel some serious byway planning may need to be done!

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 am

have you been on bing maps? they have full uk OS on them, not sure how up to date they are. Go to http://www.bing.com/maps/ and click where it says 'Road' in the top left and change it to OS.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.