OS Landranger Vs Explorer

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Re: OS Landranger Vs Explorer

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:17 pm

I just like sitting down with a paper map and having a good look around at what there is in an area. Just flicking round a phone screen following a marked track you miss a lot of other features.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:21 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:I just like sitting down with a paper map and having a good look around at what there is in an area. Just flicking round a phone screen following a marked track you miss a lot of other features.
Thats sorta my plan, get an up to date OS and using the map and internet make sure any routes i find at legal vehicular rights of way, then to exploring.

Obviously once the above is done and i find the lanes its a case of checking vehicular access is possible.

Sure it'll be fun. I like a good explore.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 pm

If i know where im going prior to a day off roading ill plan out a map using 'My Maps' on google maps, then on my mobile under 'Layers' select 'My Maps' and it will show the route i have planned out, and as for the signal issue just use the 'Make available offline' feature. Then when you have your GPS on it will show you over the top of your map and you can just follow the lines you have drawn....if that makes any sense.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 pm

You need to save the KML file to you phone and create a HTML file with a hyperlink to that files location to trick your phone into thinking you have clicked a web link as Google maps wont let you have "my maps" saved offline.

You will be better off using bing to create the KML file as you can draw straight over the top of the OS maps on there.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Jordi wrote:I just think paper maps will be better for planning as the whole map can be laid out on the table not just a 3"x4" screen.
Thats why I've got a 16" laptop screen ;)
ScottieJ wrote:Paper maps are fine if you have someone in the passenger seat who is willing to read it and give directions. :lol:
... and the problem with that is finding someone who actually knows how to read an OS map properly! haha
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."