Bought a very old Suzuki Samurai - In need of some help!

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Bought a very old Suzuki Samurai - In need of some help!

Post by Rhinoman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:00 pm

If I'm reading that right then that was built for the Sri-Lankan market. To me that looks very clean, not a of rust to be seen in those pictures.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Wow!! How do you get Sri Lanka from the sticker?? Could probably be!!

Not too much rust?!! ooohhh that sounds good!!

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Buried in the VIN should be the market number which usually starts with an 'E' - that would make yours a Sri-Lankan model. Looking into it further it could be the last two digits which indicate the market in which case yours would be an E01 which is a general export model - that's probably more likely.
The market codes are listed here:

http://www.rhinopower.org/Tech/ECodes.html
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:40 am

Hi, car seems to be running ok so far...topped it up with oil.....needed quite a bit....all else seems ok.

Was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the cost to fix some small holes due to rust etc in the undercarriage.....below the drivers feet etc. I know Im not in the UK, but is this something which is expensive in the UK?

Right now I have no money but when I do Id like to fix seats, small holes, passenger window and drivers seat beat....especially before my contract ends here so I can sell it on. Hopefully those things wont be too pricey to fix at a local garage.

If people can give me an idea of what it would cost at a garage in the UK then I could have a figure in my head!

Cheers!!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:52 am

The front and rear footwells are quite a common place for rust... not sure what your prices would be but I think it works out about £45 for 2" of welding... so it often works out a lot cheaper buying your own welder!
Although maybe not in your circumstances!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Back again! So quick recap - I moved to the Seychelles, bought a very OLD and rusty Suzui Samurai and it has been doing very well! - Of course it has had its problems but it recently passed its MOT....although test said horn was working and it hasnt worked for the past 3 months! Fixed now!

Anyway. I have had some problems and taken it to the mechanic over here. It started choking when in second gear and I had to put my foot down to get on the accelerator to get some power....took it to the mechanic and he said it was a spark plug, he changed it and now running well again. Last time we changed the spark plug and it has lasted 6 months. So this is the second time we change it.

Mechanic says that there is probably a bigger problem with the pistons or something like that and that he is going to check if there are parts, etc but will cost around 300 euros + to fix. So what do you experts advise? Im scared of messing with the car in case once he starts its like a can of worms and with such an old car lots of things can go wrong if you startl opening things?

Second issue with the car from the start was that if you left the car without running it for 2 days, it wouldnt start....so battery? Alternator? Then you would jumpstart it and it would run no problem.

This morning I put the key in the ignition and the lights were there, but when I turned the key it choked and did a noise very similar to when the battery is low or flat.

I did this several times and in the end it started no problem. Drove to work. Left the car from 7 am till 4 pm and when I put the key in after work same thing happened. Lights on the dashboard OK, but when I turn the key, it chokes and makes noise like when the battery is dying or dead. I did this several times and in the end the car started.

So any ideas??

Help me please! I am no mechanic! :)

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Could be your battery on the way out, of the starter sticking? If the lights and everything are working as they should possibly the starter sticking or on the way out.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks! So battery or starter........What does that mean exactly? Is changing the starter a big job on the samurai? Expensive? Any ideas?

For example I left it sitting all day today and it happened when I was going home after sitting all day.....But when I got home I tried and started first time....left it sitting for an hour and tried again and started first time. So appears to happen when its been sitting for a long time.

Anyway, any ideas about how big a job changing the starter is and how expensive?
Thanks!

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Firstly test the voltage of your battery with a voltmeter, should be about 12V, then start the car and see if it jump up to about 13/14V, just to check the battery is ok and charging.

Starter motor comes out with two bolts, bit fidly to get too but easy enough. Get it out and bench test it, hold it in a vice or something, then using a battery and some jump leads put the -ve to the starter body, and the +ve to the positive, then touch a little bit of wire from the +ve jump lead to the solenoid.

If the start is ok (put it back in obviously, possibly strip and clean it for the sake of it), and the battery is ok, you might have a funny short somewhere that is causing the battery to run flat even when everything is turned off.

Won't hurt to check all of your fuses as well. I had a fuse blow, something to do with the aux circuit, which mean some dash lights stayed on all the time and ran the battery down.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:37 pm

Might also be worth checking to see if you have a dim-dip. They can suck down power and discharge your battery.

I'd be surprised if your sammy has one, but you never know.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map