Bought a very old Suzuki Samurai - In need of some help!

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Bought a very old Suzuki Samurai - In need of some help!

Post by jmods » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Ill look at the paper work tomorrow.....its not diesel!! Its petrol......I thought it might be UK.....there are quite a few of em here still running.....think its from 1997 but Ill check paper work tomorrow and post on here!

Thanks for the steering box offer!

Cheers!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:54 pm

You also asked about soft tops coming off, yours defiantly will, but not whilst
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.4 KiB) Viewed 6656 times
This plate is fitted, I don't know why someone would add a plate here? But with this removed your roof should be detachable,

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with you tropical island, I was expecting more sun, sand and Palm trees!

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:56 pm

It says C.C/HP - 1300 (thats something to do with engine right? And year of Manufacture 1998.....any clues as to what model or where it might of come from?

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Hahahahahah! True....but here in the Seychelles we also get clouds and rain!!!

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:58 pm

I would also check the steering shaft UJ (part 12) and rag joint (part 15) condition before buying anything.
Steering box adjustment http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =15&t=3310
I would also check the ball joints on the pitman arm to make sure they are OK.
Looks standard ride height so it shouldn't drive too bad.
Take a few pics of the steering box/engine bay so we can see if it's different to the UK model.
Attachments
steering shaft.png
steering shaft.png (99.04 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:08 pm

My money's on a Cyprus import with it being RHD, although it could be from japan (I doubt japan as if they put the 660cc engine in the Suzukis fall into the 'kei car' category and get a tax advantage). I think Belgium stopped selling them around the same time as the UK, and I know Cyprus still have them now. With yours been a later model the chances are that you will have coiled springs rather than leaf springs, that makes the suspension more like a jimny's and much more comfortable than leafs,

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks darrell,

Unfortunately Im not very knowledgable about mechanics....this means I wont be able to follow your instructions!

The steering is the main thing...but it also feels like being in a washing machine!hahah not too bad though...The mechanic who has always looked after it for all its life with the other owners says its the steering box......he says that we can try and adjust it again though.....so we might try that.....Do you reckon its a good idea?

Dont know where it is from originally...Tramp.....it is a 1300 cc and manufacture year says 1998....

Will see how it runs for a few months and then might try and get some bits a bobs fixed.....someone says seats can be fixed locally for cheap.....Does anyone know if getting small things fixed is expensive?

Passenger seat window doesnt work.....cant push passenger seat forward to get in the back.....passenger door doesnt lock with key....

Thanks!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:50 pm

I have no idea what it's like over there for expense, these Suzukis are like mechano and bits are simple to work on, with your passenger window I imagine you will need a new mechanism, I had to replace mine recently, the mechanism isn't overly strong and if it's had a traumatic experience it fails, it would be best looking yourself thoughas sometimes the glass can come away from the metal 'gripper' at its base. If the passenger door lock doesn't work chances are you will need a new barrel if you have a key number you can order new locks from Suzuki, in the uk we tend to replace the entire lock set with a set from a scrapper, as for your seat, if you can get it fixed locally cheap, it's probably worth doing, your seat runners may have broken and may require repairing or even replacing!

I'd recommend tightening the steering box like in the above guide, it's easy to do and its amazing the difference it can make!

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 pm

The VIN plate should be under the bonnet on the driver's side, what does it state on that?
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

jmods
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by jmods » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:24 pm

Want to buy some oil for it tomorrow. Does anyone know what oil I need? No clue!
Checked the oil today and it was in the middle....but towards the low marker.....

Ill get a pic of the VIN sticker tomorrow.

Cheers