SJ410 - turbo diesel conversion

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: SJ410 - turbo diesel conversion

Post by Husky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:57 pm

trapper wrote:Good luck with the project.
Just one issue Road tax is not transferable to the new owner. When you buy it it does not matter that it appears to have road tax. The DVLA effectively cancel it on each sale and refund the original owner. So this means your un taxed and if the vehicle is on road i.e not covered by by a sorn declaration it can be seized by the DVLA.
I bought it months before DVLA bought that rule in, its currently at work sorned.

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 pm

got a little bit more done on here over the weekend while the weather was nice. also picked up a pair of sammy axles last week :)

finished the last of the welding off for MOT, it isnt pretty but its solid.

got the radiator mounts made and fitted, just need to order some hoses off the bay and can start to plumb it in.

until next time.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:22 am

Any idea how much this diesel conversion has cost you? I think you could have left the original 410 engine and ran it like that and saved a small fortune!
If it ticks over...leave it

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:39 am

all together i'd say around £300 so far, the most expensive part was the gearbox at £150, engine owes me about £50 then the rad and other bits and bobs come to around £100. the time its taken to do it has been the main factor, it should all be worth it in the end though :)

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:10 pm

You may want to consider rubber mounting that rad to protect it from vibration.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:36 pm

Rhinoman wrote:You may want to consider rubber mounting that rad to protect it from vibration.
Cheers buddy, it hadnt crossed my mind to be honest but i can see how it may cause some problems. The bottom mount i made has a pad of rubber on it mainly to stop the steel cutting into the alloy but it will act as an anti vibration mount too, im sure i can conjure something up for the top mounts.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:04 am

that's exactly how that bottom mount should be used, just use some rubber on those top mounts too, and you'll be fine
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:18 pm

Is that rad definitely going to be man enough for the diesel?
Admittedly its a lot nicer than the standard rad, but it also looks quite a bit smaller.
Diesels run quite hot and most people fit a massive rad for the diesel engine...
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:22 pm

diesels actually run a little cooler than petrol engines, im hoping the rad should be fine with it being a twin core. I did have a clio diesel rad in there but it was just a little too wide and i dont want to start chopping the front end up to get it fit. i see alot of the yanks using the stock rad when doing the 2.8td and vw td conversions so it should be fine. ive got a nice big fan to go on there too and have the temp sensor set up correctly, once its plumbed in ill let you know how it goes :)

Husky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Husky » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:26 pm

got some more done over the weekend, having some issues with the bottom rad hose, theres very little clearance between it and the alternator so best option i think is to move it over to the right about 6 inches. ive fitted some +3" lift springs on the front which should give me enought clearance for the 31" tyres now but the rear only has 1.5" or 2" lift springs so as you can tell its a little lower at the back end, ive got a shackle reversal kit which im going to try on the back to balance things out.

some pics-

spring fitted on one side.

hell of a difference from the knackered flat spring on this side.

also decided to get rid of the big winch bumper and made a little bar to mount some spots and indicators to.

also got alot of the wiring connected and tidied up, alternator connected and working etc.