Luke's volvo

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Luke's volvo

Post by Tramp » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 am

So I was a little excited about my new car so I thought I would share with my suzuki buddy's, I know a number of people here have more than Suzukis and my appreciate my volvo, I'd post in the project/build section but it doesn't really require anything rebuilding, my aim is to just tidy it and drive it! And because it has x4 3point seat belts the kids can come in it too,

So here it is, a 1984 Volvo 244 DL,

I haven't done anything much to it yet except from repairing the front brakes (hoses and dust seals) fixing the fuel/temp gauge, fitting new pressed steel number plates and fitting a new cheapy cheap radio

There's still a few things to do, I want to sort out the wheels as they are rusty, I was thinking black rims and fake white sidewalls, I also need to replace the interior clock as the standard one has failed, I was also contemplating lowering springs and I'm on the look out for a rear window louvre ( but they seem to be few and far between!)

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Luke's volvo

Post by ROBBIE » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Some one I know has one of these with no rust, galvanised body, nice motor
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:00 pm

You put white side walls on a 2 series volvo, I'll be coming to Rotherham and bashing your head in!!!

It's standard sized tyres and the wheels need to be painted the standard "steel wheels" colour.

I really like it Luke, I want the 240GLT. Soon as i find one, buying it!

You do have impeccable taste in motor vehicles bud.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Haha I know not many people get excited about these old buses but I love it, I got out in it today. We didn't go far just to the park and for a walk, it was great!

I'm going to occasionally use it for work, and to be honest I was a little dubious about it being an 3speed auto but it's pretty good and although it won't win any races it has the grunt to do 80 (on the clock) this one is only the baby of the range with the b21a engine (2.1litre carburettor) and it is in really good condition! And even though it is a bottom of the range model it's great that it has centeral locking & electric front windows. Brilliant! Maybe your right, I may be better doing them in standard metal silver they are awesome, the tyres are nice too so skinny and Pirelli 3000, someone spent some cash on this at some point!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:14 am

I remember as a kid we had a Y reg 240DL.

In beige! Then a 240 estate. My dad always loved his volvo for the reliability and as a tow car.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:34 pm

looks like you could drive through a small bunker in it!
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 am

Agree with Jordi, quite strongly! Nice if you restored and kept the wheels original - you don't see silver steels around these days and they look dead right on yours I think. Never understood why Fiat got the 500 so right except for wheels - it needs steels with full-moon hubcaps on, a bit like this
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
Nice Volvo - they are quite trendy now! My day-car is a C30, first Volvo ever owned, very impressed indeed.
It'll see you right I reckon.
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas

suzukisteve
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by suzukisteve » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Cant beat a good old volvo in my opinion. My dad had loads when I was a kid and they were brilliant old busses. Had a 740 off the clock which was rather scary too!
pickle power!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:29 pm

I drove past maltby pit the other day, I couldn't resist stopping to take a photo,

Maltby is a local pit that has recently shut it's doors ( the last in the area) the demolition crew is in so I imagine this entrance will probably be knocked down with the rest of the site - or moved, I also thought it was nice because when my Volvo was first registered (august 1984) coincides with the miners strikes & picket line that happened here 1984/85

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Know it well Luke, sad times.