the no dosh LJ revamp

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: the no dosh LJ revamp

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Bodywork all done and I have finally sussed out the over heating problem. I ordered a new thermostat and before fitting did the boiling pan of water trick to make sure it worked. It did. So I took the old one out and was a bit surprised to see that the rubber seal it comes with had squished itself so wide the flow of coolant must have been reduced by about 2/3rds, Fitted new one minus rubber seal and she's running perfectly again. Hits the middle of the temp gauge and stays there. Happy days.
If it ticks over...leave it

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:42 am

That's what you want to hear! Good job!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:49 pm

Cheers Anton. Really relieved as I thought it might be summat like the head gasket!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Rear quarter fixed...
WP_20190430_010.jpg
Then, rather rashly, I decided to tackle the bonnet. It's always been a bit lop sided but some twisting sorted that. Then tackle various dings.
WP_20190430_009.jpg
WP_20190503_001.jpg
The screws holding the clips where fused solid so a lot of heat and they finally shifted. Used Allen bolts to put 'em back on. Was hoping to paint it today but the heavens opened up!
WP_20190503_002.jpg
WP_20190503_003.jpg
If it's dry tomorrow I'll finish it. Expecting another hot summer so this time every panel is going to get a damn good seeing to. Cut out any rust and weld fresh metal back in!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Thu May 16, 2019 11:22 pm

After the rear prop UJ fiasco (now fixed) I detected a really bad knock coming from what I assumed was the middle prop. Only at very low speeds, ie first gear and the noise vanished as soon as I got to about 10mph. No noise at all in reverse. Whipped the prop out and yep...one very loose UJ at the end that goes into the T box. Went back to Propshaft Services and the chap there says the UJ is fine it's the casting that's buggered. Dilemma time as this is a shorty prop custom made for Piglet. Scottie has one but it's not been welded right...however armed with two I might get the local engineering place to make one good 'un. Fingers crossed as I have no idea how long this prop will last...

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Is the current one fixable? Could you hammer in a collar to tighten it back up? At least temporarily?

I made a collar to hammer into a spring eye that was worn and too big for the bushing out of some thin metal I had lying about - any chance that you could do something similar to tide you over until the new propshaft is ready?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Fri May 17, 2019 6:00 pm

That is a really good idea Anton. I will try that and report back!

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm

:doublethumbs:

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon May 20, 2019 10:15 pm

I have found a prop. Rear one I think but I am hoping the engineers can do a cut and shut and make a good middle one using both. Was hoping to do that today when disaster struck. Starter motor packed up, I could see the solenoid trying to push out of it's mounting when I tried to start it. Local place ordered a new Lucas one (so vastly superior to the manky one I had) at a cost though. £169 exchange. So that's the prop money out the window along with all the other bits that need sorting. Bollocks. Had to fit the thing on the High Street accompanied by the inane chat of passers by. 'Wotcha doin' mate' etc. What the feck do you think I'm doing?? :poke:
WP_20190520_002.jpg
WP_20190520_003.jpg

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 pm

The problems persist. Scotties prop got shortened and straightened by a local engineering company and it looked spot on to me. After paying for that I had enough moolah to go back to Feltham Propshafts today. They tell me it's scrap. Tested it on some rotational device and it is so out of true it can't be used. Arses. More money thrown away. However I did find a long middle prop lurking in the back of the workshop with good uj's and I had it with me just in case. Matey says an easy job, they will shorten it and balance it and I can pick it up tomorrow. £62 plus the vat. Not too bad methinks :D