Palo's 410 builds!!

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: Palo's 410 builds!!

Post by SherwoodNash » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Wow Palo, I somehow missed this thread due to being busy this year, you're doing some good work :thumbup:

I'm envious of all that space you have to work in :D

Any updates since the summer?

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 pm

SherwoodNash wrote:Wow Palo, I somehow missed this thread due to being busy this year, you're doing some good work :thumbup:

I'm envious of all that space you have to work in :D

Any updates since the summer?
Hi Sherwood. Haven't got any more updates as i haven't had a break from work :argh: where i was able to complete anything, so the sj's are still as pictured in the last update.

The other real main reason for not updating is that i have put the Sj's on hold until we have finished putting up a workshop because as great as all that space is, it is useless if there is nowhere under cover the weld, grind and disassemble stuff without it getting rained on :bawling: . It also prevents me from achieving the finish i want of the Zuks. :D

However, we will be hiring an excavator to hopefully start on the base in 3-4 weeks time. Once we have poured the base its relatively easy and should go up quickly. I've even been granted a full workshop to myself until they are both done. :doublethumbs:

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Update!!! :guns:

Decided i would utilize the 10x5 meter marquee on our patio and get on with one of the SJ's, plus i've only got odd jobs on at the moment so have loads of spare time :D . I'm getting sick of looking at them in bit aswell.

So here it is-
Ground everything down to bare metal and removed all the rust.
Sprayed the chassis, front springs and rear axle after priming with upol 182 rust inhibiting primer and have done a satin black top coat.
The cheap Erbauer spray gun is actually surprisingly good and well worth getting if your going to be painting stuff like the chassis as it only took me 20 minutes to spray. If i'd brush painted it, it would've taken 10 times longer.

Bought some Monroe shocks but they had some surface rust so i wire brushed them and i was shocked at how well they came out :lol:. Going to prime and paint them yellow tomorrow.

Hoping to get more done tomorrow so should have another update then. :thumbup:

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:22 am

Looking good! Keep it up!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 am

Nice work!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Nice job! glad to see the build up and running again and marquees make great temporary paint shops :thumbup:

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Cheers guys!
Not much of an update - Just been watching paint dry! :S Quite Boring really.
Apologies in advance for the poor pics just don't have very good lighting, plus i have to resize to be able to upload them.

Finished painting the chassis and rear leaf springs underside and the moved on to priming everything i cleaned yesterday.

While i waited for that to dry i degreased the transfer box and began disassembling and removing the surface rust from the " Brand used" front spring.

Painted the shocks with some paint i got from Halfords and managed to undo all the previous paint work i had done to the chassis and springs so will need to re-paint them again tomorrow. :poke:

I didn't realise how much paint can get suspended in the air from just one can :shock:. Now there's a yellow mist over everything, and it never happend with the paint gun i was using which surprised me.

What are your guys opinions on reusing U-Bolts for the leaf springs? Was going to get some new ones from Llama but didn't realise how much they are - and there's are the cheapest i could find.

Anyway that's all i got for today.
Until tomorrow :thumbup:

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 am

Very tidy Palo, a lot of work into setting that room up :thumbup:

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Done some more to the sj but not as much as i'd hoped as i'm waiting on parts and the marquee nearly took off the other day :hahaha: so had to add some tie downs.

so far i've managed to reassemble the spring packs with new high tensile bolts and poly bushes. Rebuilt the rear brakes with new shoes, cylinders and restored all the old mechanism using a rust dip.
I've ordered loads of parts to rebuild the front swivels as they leak and loads of other bits like brake lines an engine bits.

Springs reassembled with new bushes and bolts.

Then started to rebuild the rear brakes.
Before.

After.

That's all for now!

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 am

:doublethumbs: :popcorn: