Andys dabble in disco land.

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Andys dabble in disco land.

Post by Jordi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 am

Anton wrote:Were you meaning to do a complete resto job when you bought it, or is it just in your blood to make rustbuckets all shiney?
I would imagine that panel just fell off unexpectedly Anton so it is more urgent repairs than restoration.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Anton wrote:Were you meaning to do a complete resto job when you bought it, or is it just in your blood to make rustbuckets all shiney?
Not really, i was going to break it or sell it as an off roader with no mot. Ive always liked the disco and the rangy. So when the carlton died it was my first choice on the list of possible next cars. The fact that its good for towing then motavated me to get my trailer test done as ive put off the expense for years as ive never had a suitable tow vehicle. A tow vehicle needs to be in good order as it would be checked for road worthyness should vosa pull me in when towing.
This disco however is not in good condition.

Its only advisory last mot was "light corrosion on sill"

This i assume means you can see light through the bloody sill!

When i bought it i just did my usual and took a punt on it, when buying something for under a grand im a firm beliver that you have to look at it with a throw away attitude.

Funnily ,
I bought a 96 punto called felix for £200 once, 128k and a dent in every panel as a stop gap car for someone, i never even opened the bonnet when i looked at it.
Told it had loads of MOT and service history (i didnt check or care)
Turns out it had 3 days MOT, past first time and they used it for 3 years and about 20k miles. Had about £80 spent on it during that time. Bangernomics.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Jordi wrote:
I would imagine that panel just fell off unexpectedly Anton so it is more urgent repairs than restoration.
:hahaha:

Sounds about right, now I come to think about it.
andyrew wrote:Bangernomics.
You're going to do what to 'er?

:poke:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Many many Pounds later and MOT is looming
Closer. Time to get the other sill done and all the other welding. And there's a lot of that.

Now would be an ideal time for the clutch fork to fail obviously. I'd call it the first breakdown its had but to be fair I still got home without the clutch it just took some crunchy gears and some left foot braking.

Question is, do I change it in the street or crunch and grind it to the barn.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:04 pm

andyrew wrote:Many many Pounds later and MOT is looming
Closer. Time to get the other sill done and all the other welding. And there's a lot of that.

Now would be an ideal time for the clutch fork to fail obviously. I'd call it the first breakdown its had but to be fair I still got home without the clutch it just took some crunchy gears and some left foot braking.

Question is, do I change it in the street or crunch and grind it to the barn.

This is a conundrum. Knowing it may collapse into a pile of scrap when the gearbox is removed i say thw barn.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Knowing how heavy the gearboxes are deffo barn!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Barn for sure :hands:
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Going to try leaving the gearbox in but moving it back enough to change the arm. Using some studding through the bolt holes in the bell housing helps to keep in alignment and then a trolley jack under the tbox. Remove props and mounts and slide back. I've got a spare fork arm to brace and fit.

Im hoping the two top bolts have been left out as these are an absolute bastard to get at I've been informed.

I was hoping to put a recon box and tbox In at some point soon when I could build it at work. Just not right now. I've only been there 4 days. I can build the r380 gearbox, i just haven't learnt the tbox yet!

At least I work at the right place for parts now :hahaha: and my commute is a 12min walk.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:48 pm

andyrew wrote:At least I work at the right place for parts now :hahaha: and my commute is a 12min walk.
Not so much for the spares but so when it won't start on a morning you can still walk to work and be on time.

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:55 pm

Good luck with that idea, last time I put a gearbox in one took 3 of us and a trolley jack and a lot of swearing
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good