21st Birthday SJ 410 Project

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
clarkie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

21st Birthday SJ 410 Project

Post by clarkie » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:45 am

So after writing off my Suzuki Vitara on the road of all places, I decided to buy myself an SJ project for my 21st to make use of the engine and waste yet more of my hard earned cash.

As you can see it's a fairly battered 410 (what SJ isn't). I bought it for £350 with the cost of it being delivered back home - not too bad at all.

I've bought a set of rough country YJ springs and extended shocks, the rest I will worry about after it's road legal again.

I essentially bought the project to learn more about mechanics after tinkering with my quad bike for a few years; a mig welder has already been bought to patch up the areas of rust.

Not sure yet whether to have back seats and run a fuel tank in the original position or whether to add an MG midget fuel tank in the back to have a better departure angle.

No doubt I'll be drilling most of you with questions throughout this build and I'll try and keep this thread updated with progress :D
Attachments
DSC_0079.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: 21st Birthday SJ 410 Project

Post by timwilks13 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Looks nice, I quite like those high roofs! Get rid of those long shackles for a start, hate even knowing they're a thing lol.

I know a few people like to move the tank into the back, but personally the departure angles on an SJ are already brilliant so not sure what you will be doing to need those extra few degrees. Just get a tank guard whacked on and enjoy the extra space you will have in the back. Look forward to seeing the progress!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am

Can’t beat a nice gift to yourself.

As tim said, no real need to move the fuel tank, doesn’t really effect the departure angles as it’s tucked out of the way. A good bash guard will protect from being punctured and slide over rocks.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 pm

keep the tank underneath, just make a decent guard. I hate having the tank in the back and can't wait to get mine back underneath.

Looks like it's gonna be a good build!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

clarkie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clarkie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:26 pm

timwilks13 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm
Looks nice, I quite like those high roofs! Get rid of those long shackles for a start, hate even knowing they're a thing lol.

I know a few people like to move the tank into the back, but personally the departure angles on an SJ are already brilliant so not sure what you will be doing to need those extra few degrees. Just get a tank guard whacked on and enjoy the extra space you will have in the back. Look forward to seeing the progress!
It's a battered old thing but at least it will keep the rain out! Yeah I will do, they won't fit with the new springs but heard bad things about them so far lol.

That's what I wanted to hear, like the idea of back seats too much. I'll keep you posted!

clarkie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clarkie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Jordi wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am
Can’t beat a nice gift to yourself.

As tim said, no real need to move the fuel tank, doesn’t really effect the departure angles as it’s tucked out of the way. A good bash guard will protect from being punctured and slide over rocks.
Sounds like the way to go, at least I can cram a few mates in when it's finished. Might as well give it a go making one

clarkie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clarkie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:29 pm

ScottieJ wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 pm
keep the tank underneath, just make a decent guard. I hate having the tank in the back and can't wait to get mine back underneath.

Looks like it's gonna be a good build!
Glad I've been told, just isn't that much space left once the tank is in the boot.

Fingers crossed it will be!

clarkie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by clarkie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Quick update of photos from the past few months. Made a good start at wire brushing/burring off a lot of the mud that has cemented itself practically everywhere...been a long process so far.

Hard to find an area that isn't caked in crap lol doubt this is an uncommon sight with SJ's.

Also sanded the majority of the paint of to its original colour as you can see from these photos, have to say love it in white but not sure it's worth repainting it white...need something more forgiving on the imperfections...

Engine on the crane is a 1.6 8v from my old vitara.

Rest of the photos are a few pictures of areas of rust that I'll be welding up in the next few months, much the same as many I've seen in other threads, arches rotten floor pans over body mounts etc...could take some time as I'm learning on the go :weld:

Seems best to go for a virtual lift as this will solve most of the rust issues around the arches, can't say no to the idea of bigger wheels in the future
Attachments
035A7696.jpg
035A3668.jpg
035A2885.jpg
035A2907.jpg
035A2909.jpg
035A5913.jpg
035A5918.jpg
035A5919.jpg
035A7706.jpg
035A7708.jpg