LJ 80 reconstruction

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: LJ 80 reconstruction

Post by lundigee » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Yesterday, I finally had some time to myself and pulled the engine out of the SJ410.
I have had no joy to date in acquiring an F8a engine or sump, so I am just trying the 410 engine in the hole.
The sump and pick up pipe has been removed so that I can see what interference exists with axle, steering etc. Turning the sump around would involve redrilling all the holes, so I am thinking on.
Attachments
IMG_1281.JPG

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Nothing fits.......

The SJ410 engine brackets push the mounts out too wide for the LJ chassis rails........ get LJ engine brackets.

The SJ410 exhaust manifold sits over the LJ chassis rail, complicated plumbing........get LJ exhaust manifold
IMG_1286.JPG

The SJ410 distributor sits above the bonnet line......get large hammer for power bulge......(or) get LJ distributor mount
IMG_1283.JPG

Having removed the SJ sump, the gap between the block and the diff/steering/damper is designed for a jigsaw piece. Robbie LJ80 photo showing the front off, has a clear shot of the complexity of the sump required if it is going to hold any oil........ get an LJ80 sump.
IMG_1289.JPG
I have not even looked at joining the LJ gearbox onto the F10a.................

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:03 pm

Having not had much joy leading up to Christmas fitting the the F10a motor, I have turned my attention to the other end of the LJ. No responses from the 'Wanted' for a spare wheel carrier, a few helpful comments and some useful photos from 'Robbie', I have decided to go for my own interpretation.
IMG_1315.JPG
Using the spare wheel carrier off the back door of the SJ410, I have attached it to a piece of 1 1/4" tube (£5). The spare wheel has been centered on a threaded hole I could see on the tailgate, which presumably secures some sort of rubber stop? (photo please anyone) for the spare wheel to rest against.

The pivot washer was beaten out of steel sheet and then hole sawed internal and external. There is a stop on the pivot tube, what is this for? A bit more cleaning up and a couple of coats of paint and I think that will do as a spare wheel carrier.
Attachments
IMG_1314.JPG

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:42 pm

Is the mounting point central? I thought it was more to the right of the tailgate otherwise the spare wheel will block some of the number plate.
If it ticks over...leave it

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:17 pm

I had better check!

The centre of the spare wheel is 400mm (lines up with threaded hole in tailgate) from the centre of the hinge, which puts the wheel to the right of centre. When the wheel is mounted all the lights are visible, the number plate mounting for my LJ is below the tow bar mount. There are a pair of lights hidden behind the rear light panel which illuminate the number plate. I am not intending to tow anything on the road so the number plate can go where Suzuki intended without concern of being covered by spare wheels of tow hitches.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:24 pm

Got a pic? Never seen a number plate light like that.
If it ticks over...leave it

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:53 am

Spare wheel carrier was a nightmare for me. When i truck cabbed mine 12years ago? I had this image of how the tray back would look incorporating a spare wheel carrier. Only took me 10years to get round to making it.

Glad your making slightly quicker progress.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Got a pic? Never seen a number plate light like that.
Photo of the number plate bracket and two concealed lights, FYI
IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG
Jordi, I like the idea of a tray back. As for spare wheel holders, this is not a race, but 10years...really?

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:57 pm

I picked up an F8a yesterday, thanks to Mudbutty. It has all the important bits on to convert the F10 to fit in the space provided.
IMG_1317.JPG

lundigee
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by lundigee » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:45 pm

Tricky question, can anyone tell me if I have a fault with my light switch.
First pull and the sidelights come on, second pull and the headlights come on......but the sidelights go off? Is that normal, legal or a faulty switch?