SJ413 Driveway Rebuild

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
bmonut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: SJ413 Driveway Rebuild

Post by bmonut » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Did it, but was a faff.

Took about an hour of testing different things, removing alternator and a temp thingo (I think) from the inlet manifold. Lifted the chassis up, held it with one hand and scooted the motor forward with the other.

As Jordi said, the motor is indeed not heavy, and making the trolley was easy in the end. There's no firgging way I could lift it on my own tho. Jordi remind me to be nice to you.

Will definately not being doing it this way when re-installing. Need some mates as suggested. Anyone wanna be my friend?

Rest of it was pretty straightforward, tho I ended up cutting the U-bolts on one side as it is a right pain to get the nuts off. Also cut the single bolts on the forward end of the rear springs. I assume that they had rusted into the sleeve. Did not want to come out.

So I'd say about 44 hours in total to this point. I am not speedy tho, I don't rush and some of that time is in figuring stuff out. I don't think it's a good idea to have deadlines for projects like this one: makes you rush, creates stress etc etc. I'm doing it because I enjoy it, having a nice motor at the end is a bonus.

There is a single-width gate leading around to the back of my house. I will need to remove the gate itself, but the body should just fit through. Better to have it out the back where the grass can absorb the rust flakes and I won't have to keep the front tidy. Spilled some fuel out there which is a bit stinky. Better be a good neighbour and pressure wash it tomorrow.

B
20191229_162913.jpg
20191229_161610.jpg

Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rabid Rhino » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:30 am

On your own ! With a bad back ! Phenomenal !
Ibuprofen tomorrow morning. Im sure it'll be worth it.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:17 pm

Whereabouts are you? If you are nearby I could lend a hand.
If it ticks over...leave it

bmonut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by bmonut » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:31 pm

donkeychomp wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:17 pm
Whereabouts are you? If you are nearby I could lend a hand.
You're a good bloke donkeychamp, however I suspect Devon is a bit far! Also, I think it will be a few months before I've got everything to a state where it's ready to re-assemble.

Just going to tidy/tart the engine. Will do wheel bearings. Paint the chassis. New brake/fuel lines. It's back to work soon so progress will slow. Also, motorbike in the living room is reminding me that spring is not too far away...

B

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:44 pm

Devon is a tad too far! What bike is in the living room? I've got 3 in my workshop...
If it ticks over...leave it

bmonut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Selling up :(

Post by bmonut » Wed May 06, 2020 3:13 pm

Hey all

Well, Covid-19 has certainly screwed up a lot of things, including my chances of finishing what I started. With severely reduced income and having to downsize my lviing space, I don't have the money to complete this project or the space to keep it until I do.

What a bummer.

So, I have a complete vehicle I need to get rid of. For the larger stuff collection can wait until after lockdown obviously, but happy to send whatever can be delivered. Gonna start posting it on eBay.

I really don't want to take it to the dump but I'm not planning on hauling it to my new abode in a couple of months. If anyone is feeling helpful can you let me know which of the following are worth anything? I have seen loads of zooks being parted out on eBay so not sure what is worth trying to sell...

Parts/pieces:
- chassis & a mostly sound body with a V5
- all panels
- a pair of VGC doors
- engine & gearbox running when removed in Dec and dry stored since
- T-case
- front and rear axles
- radiator
- standard grill
- standard rims