My Samurai

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: My Samurai

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:03 pm

Not sure I'm out of the woods just yet, but this is definitely an improvement. I took it for a test drive yesterday and it's driving much better. Although still getting a bit of a fluttering idle when hot.

I took the air filter pipe off the carb and was looking down at damper piston to see if the fluctuations had stopped. It's still fluttering and when I lift it with a screwdriver it feels like the first 4mm of so of travel is not damped and only after that does the damper add some resistance. Need to figure out if this is normal.

When looking at the piston, I noticed that the sides of the carb between the piston and butterfly was visibly wet with fuel. I shut off the engine but left the ignition on so that the fuel pump was still running. I undid the 3 screws of the dashpot assy, lifted it off and found there was a puddle of fuel at the bottom of the butterfly.

It looks as though fuel is seeping up the jet. So either the float level is wrong or something isn't right on the bottom of the carb. 😑

Will strip it down and double check float.

I'll add a video later to show what I mean.

Oh and I try to keep the birds nest of relays and wires out of shot in the engine bay. Too embarrassing, needs to be tidied up! 😂

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:36 pm

So I've checked the float height and it's correct. Reassembled the carb and it's still pushing fuel up past the needle. I've made a quick video to show what's happening.

https://youtu.be/UmBXcHA0lI8

Also, checked the two other SU carbs I have on the shelf and they have a similar amount of free play in the dashpot piston before the damper takes effect. So I expect that little bit of fluttering I was talking about is normal?

Can anyone suggest something to try? I'm getting closer to sending this carb off for a professional rebuild as I'm running out of ideas and want to be able to play as soon as we can!

I haven't actually verified that the new pump is putting out the correct 2psi pressure so I'll check that to make sure it's not the problem!

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:58 am

Finally found a few minutes to have another look at this, stuck the pressure gauge on the new pump just for a sanity check and it's bloody putting out more pressure than the old one!! :argh:
Showing just shy of 6psi when it should be 2.1psi!

No wonder it was pushing fuel past the jet.

Another few days of pissing about returning and ordering parts! So glad this isn't my daily driver at the moment 😃
Attachments
IMG_20210404_075410307_resize_99.jpg

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:08 pm

So I've opted to fit a malpassi fuel pressure regulator in the end. Set to just over 2psi and she's running loads better.

Pulls much better. Still a bit of fine tuning to be done, a friend has an AFR sensor so I'll give that a go some day to dial in the fuelling as best I can. 👍

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Oh and the dashpot fluttering has cured itself too, I reckon the excess fuel pressure was actually pushing it up and causing the fluttering.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:17 pm

Great news!
If it ticks over...leave it

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Thanks, was nice to get the wheels a bit muddy on a few local lanes today!
Attachments
IMG_20210411_170130784_resize_64.jpg
IMG_20210411_165731165_resize_22.jpg
IMG_20210411_165741018_resize_53.jpg

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 pm

Always liked the vans. Looks spot on

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 am

d_r_1989 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 pm
Always liked the vans. Looks spot on
Cheers, she's not show room but she looks good if you stand back a bit! 😁

Just a pity about that dent in the left rear quarter, I need to get that straightened out sometime.

On the fuelling issues, I still have intermittent flooding happening! 😬 Drove fine for a few days and then started acting up big time the other evening. Whipped the dash pot off and puddle of fuel behind the butterfly again.

Rechecked the fuel pressure and still good at around 2psi. Reckon it has to be the float needle valve now, although the viton tipped one that's in there looks ok. I've ordered new needle valve and housing so will see if that helps! If that doesn't work I'll replace the float but it looks perfect and it's set correctly too.

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Just arrived today, fingers crossed these will fix her up!
IMG_20210417_193953591_resize_24.jpg