Drivetrain pre stripdown checks - advice appreciated

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Toodlepip
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Drivetrain pre stripdown checks - advice appreciated

Post by Toodlepip » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:33 pm

After a few months of other things getting in the way, I'm finally getting around to stripping down my sj410 pre restoration. It's driveable, though only for short distances on private land as it's not roadworthy, so I'm limited as to what checks I can do. I'd like mainly to check out the transfer box, differentials, suspension play, etc. Basically everything connected to the chassis. What I'm asking is, is there anything in particular I should be listening for? Can I set it up on blocks to check out 2wd and 4wd is working ok or will I damage components? I'm new to 4wd ownership so any and all advice gratefully received. Thanks.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: Drivetrain pre stripdown checks - advice appreciated

Post by timwilks13 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:49 pm

Drive train should be relatively sound free, except for squeaks from the spring and shock bushes. You can check the 4WD by jacking one front and one rear wheel, put it in 4WD and gear box in neutral, if you spin one the other should spin also.

Depending when oils were last changed no harm in draining t-box and diffs and putting fresh fluid in. Always remove filler plug before drain plug!! Might be a good idea to pull off all 3 propshafts and check condition of the UJ's, can't tell if they're any good when still fitted to the vehicle.

Then give all the spring bushes a good visual check, if they're old the rubber can perish and crack. Probably a lot more you can check but thats where I would start.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Toodlepip
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Toodlepip » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:22 pm

Thanks, much appreciate your advice. I intend to change all fluids and give the suspension a full going over, change shocks, etc. Is there any way of checking if the leaf springs are worn 'beyond limits'? Wondering if it might be worthwhile while I have it all stripped down, body off the chassis. Ps, your quote at the bottom of your message page is one of my all time favourites!

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:22 pm

The leaf springs will simply change shape if they're too bad, as long as they still have some curve to them they're probably ok, if they're sitting flat or bending beyond flat then there is a problem. If they still look good it's not a bad idea to pull them apart and use some teflon tape (I think that's the stuff?) on the ends to help them slide over each other properly.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Toodlepip
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Toodlepip » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:03 am

I was thinking along those lines, thanks for reinforcing it. It's sat on uneven ground at the moment, so it's hard to tell. When I get it into the workshop on level ground I'll have a much better idea of where I'm at. I've undertaken projects and restorations before, just never on a 4x4, so your advice has been highly valuable. Many thanks.