Tramps Truck,

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Re: Tramps Truck,

Post by kiwizook » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am

why does it have two studs welded to those plates?
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 am

Anti roll bar mounts.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Hows it going?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:18 am

I cant help but feel like your :poke: me to get something done.....

Well I'm going to have to disappoint you, ive not done anything at all. These plates I prepared are still in my kitchen, the brake hoses are on the back seat, the truck hasnt even turned a wheel (let alone seen a spanner!) And the only productive thing I've done is post here! If I get chance I'll do something but it won't be for a week or so

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 am

Tramp wrote:I cant help but feel like your :poke: me to get something done.....

I am. It's a tidy truck bud, shame to just have it sit there.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 am

Jordi wrote:
Tramp wrote:I cant help but feel like your :poke: me to get something done.....

I am. It's a tidy truck bud, shame to just have it sit there.
Yeah I know, at the rate I'm going at it, it'll be a retirement project! :lol: at least its in the garage so it won't be corroding as much as when it was outside, hopefully ill get more time when the eldest starts nursery, when you have kids you can't get anything done!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 am

Yeah, two must be a handful Luke.

I have all that to look forward to. Time is precious as it is working away Mon to Fri and weekends. I should have my Samurai somewhere near by the time it's born.

The SJ doesn't need much to get it going and the KJA, very well might be my retirement project.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Well today is a special day, I made the effort for my SJ, I got around 2-3hours on it, the first job on my list...... change the spring plates for new and re-fit anti roll bar

here it was before I started.

Then at the end of play time (and now with lots of extra copper slip)

and the reason why.....

One sheared ARB fastening bolt, Ah I only made a few mistakes through this job the first... trying to cut the excess U bolts threads off whilst fitted - I had to take them back off and cut them in the vice. secondly I tried fitting the ARB on the wrong side of the leaf springs :hahaha: the flat was on the ground, luckily I realised before I tightened it up!

Whilst I was working with the garage door open a ford maverick pulled up and asked if I wanted to sell it. Of course I politely declined, when I told my Missus she thought it was a great idea to sell :screwy: she wasn't happy when I compared my SJ to my wedding ring that doesn't fit any more, after all if you don't use it you may as well sell it hadn't you?
Last edited by Tramp on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm impressed, progress!!!

Top work! Although i'm not sure about axle stands under springs?

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Jordi wrote:I'm impressed, progress!!!

Top work! Although i'm not sure about axle stands under springs?
I know, I realise its not the 'best practice' & I was a bit worried but what can you do? The stands only go so high and I was really restricted with 'low' points for them to go under on the front, the calmini kit gets in the way of the chassis and doesn't give you any spare to fit a stand to, My bumper is just the standard flimsy one too so you can't even entertain the idea of using that. I would rather have put them on the axles (where they should go) but when I undid the U bolts it would have separated the plate from the spring as I'm still spua, I was tempted to use the Hi-lift but I know how big a no no that is for working underneath. The lesser of x2 evils or so i thought!
Last edited by Tramp on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.