Tramps Truck,

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Tramps Truck,

Post by Tramp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Well I've been meaning to make a page for this for a while, I just Couldn't be ar*ed until now,

well what can I say? I bought My Sj from a classified advert on here back in 2006, It was the best SJ I could find at the time and I was Desperate to get on the road. I bought her from a chap on the East Coast, and paid about £1500 for her (which was alot at the time)

When I first bought Her, she had chrome rims, A number plate on the bonnet and spotlights on the bumper with different colour reflectors, he also had suzuki swift gti seats fitted and a matching steering wheel

Any way the first thing I did was buy a fast back roof and fit a vitara bullbar.. (the brackets were borneyos)

I then purchased important modification parts... A spare wheel cover, mudflaps for the rear and new spotlights. I also bought a 410 bumper (which don't have the facility for the plastic end cap of a sammy) and cut them to fit larger tyres

I then bought some wheels and 31" tyres. tbh I wasn't really sure how big they would be and thought they would fit with no lift :| I have no excuses I should have known better

anyway I fitted them and found they were fine as long as I didn't turn

So off they came and I ran around on the originals for a bit longer, I also bought a Cb radio, some idicator/light gaurds and made a light bar

after I got the CB radio I realised it had a PA output so I had to invest in a speaker which I fitted under the bonnet!

This was also the same point that my original seat broke on the hinge, So I bought some new swift GTI seats, unfortunately the lining had cigarette burns in, I took them to a car upholsters to get them repaired, then in the workshop he had some ford mustang seats he had just recovered in red leather. I had quite a disposable income at the time and feel in love with the leather, so decided on the spot to have them recovered in the leather

I ran it that way for a while It was fine for what I did with it, I went out with my friends 410 a lot

but the tyres were ready for changing and I still had my 31's in the garage, So I invested In a kit a knew would give me the clearence I needed, So I bought a Calmini 3.5" reverse shackle lift kit My tyres fitted better, but still rubbed even with 32mm spacers

So I bought new tyres 235/75r15 to make it more useable, (Amazon Re-treads)

they were great and fitted it perfectly but the seed had been sown and I thought it would benifit from lower gearing, so I invested in a Rocklobster t-box (4.16:1) from the offroad armoury. This did lower the gearing but maybe lowered it too much, although I was quite happy with it,

I had a few good days out in it

but It was about this time that they put us on short hour at work and I couldn't afford to keep the SJ on the road I laid it up and started going to work on my motorbike until things picked up (or so I told myself) while it was laid up I removed the bull bar and fitted the original bumper back on ( i gave the old one to a friend when I sold him the 31's)

It sat outside until its tax ran out and looked very sad for itself

Last year I moved it into the private car park at the end of my street - out of the way. Shortly afterwards had an accident stopping me driving manual cars. I left it the car park for a few months and when I checked on it I found the foot wells full of lovely green water and a carpet of mould on everything so I sold most of my motorbikes and had a neighbour move it into a gargae for me,

And thats where it is now, no tax no mot and off the road for going on 2 years now, at least its safe where it is and not filling up with water any more!

*edited on 30.11.11 to relink the pictures*
Last edited by Tramp on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Tramps Truck,

Post by Jordi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Its like a brothers grim fairly tale. Starts so well then goes pete tong. My SJ has been laid up for a few years now but still goes. Probably just wants a damn good service before MOT.

As for the sammy its on the road but everytime theres an event im skint.

Looking on the bright side its safe and warm for the winter and fingers crossed you'll be fit and able for the summer.

Think theres an event at tong nxt sunday. I shud be off and as im working all wkend i shud have spare cash so will try and get to it.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:45 pm

still 1 8-) truck tramp and think of the fun when yer leg works again
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Are the swift seats a straight swap or did you have to mess on with the subframe?

Cheers

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Jordi wrote:Are the swift seats a straight swap or did you have to mess on with the subframe?

Cheers

Jordi

i had to mess about with the subframes, the first set of seats had the runners welded onto the bottom, the second set I fitted when i didn't have a welder and I had to bolt them on, it was pretty straight forward and they operate like the originals.... I.e. they both fold foward but the passenger one runs alot further forward before it tilts, to encourage passengers to exit onto the kirb.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Ive just uploaded ome more picss to here, http://evzsgarage.esmartdesign.com/sj413.html

I thought it was about time I updated my website, Its full of clutter at the moment and this page was my first to make it more streamline

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:07 pm

What a beast Luke..

I bet you carnt wait to hear her go again 8-)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 pm

I've always liked your truck tramp, carefully modded and very tidy. The interior wouldn't stay that clean if it was mine, I think i would have to swap those seats over everytime i went offroading just in case :lol: Mind you I'm going to try and not drown my SJ as much as i used to once it's back on the road. :roll:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:15 pm

It looks great. The visible rust spots on yours seem fine. On mine the wheel arch trims aren't connected to the arches in places because the arches have rotted.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm

I've been down the garage today, I've not done anything excting (I was going to check on my weber and take a photo) but whilst I was there I thought I'd take an up-to-date photo as my most recent one involved snow from the year before last :shock:

Its abit dusty but it seems to be still intact! Its shame all the rubbish is starting to build up around it!!!!

edited to re-link pictures
Last edited by Tramp on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.