newtomud VW camper build (as requested)

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: newtomud VW camper build (as requested)

Post by Anton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm

dan_2k_uk wrote:All this talk of masks makes me wanna boast. :D

I got given a £680 speed glas one. Its the tits but I would never get past the £25 ebay jobs if I was buying one myself!
I ordered one of the ebay masks for £23 delivered last night...

;)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks for the good comments on the roof repair, I'm pleased with it.
As for the lead loading I'm going to buy a starter kit and have a go.. If it's no good or I'm poo at it I'll use ordinary filler..
The joggler, it cost £50 but was worth every penny to do the job right.. Very handy too as I have a few other panels I intend to replace.
Also removed the gearbox yesterday.. Not good,it turns out to be a 3 rib CE code, 1600cc box and I'll need a 6 rib 091 2 litre box if I'm to fit a subaru engine.

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 pm

funky
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 pm

I hate people who make body work look so easy. Proper tidy finish.

When i start to tidy up my body work i'm having a joggler/punch so i can fab up some panels. Hope the leading goes well.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Looks like a nice project there! I will have to post some pics of my mates camper...
Its a '72 early bay. We put a full coilover suspension conversion on the front last year and now it comfy as anything!
He's also just had a new 1641cc engine put in, and converted to twin carbs... its an absolute beauty!
Looking at doing rear independent suspension conversion late this year!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

88SJ
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 88SJ » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Dude you made an ace job with the welding. We (my son and I) just drove to Sweden with the car trailer to pick the below up....sleet, heavy snow, sunshine and rain but we got there. I know what you're gunna say when you see the snap...but it is a one owner '54 barn door splitty - and that trumps just about everything in the VW world :rockin:

Now back to your welding genius...got any spare time :lol:
Attachments
023.JPG
023.JPG (2.76 MiB) Viewed 7532 times

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 pm

That there is a rare VW... Looks like it needs a lot of work.. Post a build thread on here and I'll race you to the MOT testing station :doublethumbs:
(Edit.. If your talking about my welding? The roof is shaped to fit with a joggled edge but not welded yet.. That's next)

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 pm

What he said ^^^. I'm not a huge VeeDub can but i do love to see the old and rare restored!!!!

That looks like a beaut project, dedication there mate, Sweden and back.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

88SJ
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by 88SJ » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 pm

We saw the barn door for sale a couple of weeks ago on a Friday evening on The samba - bought it over the phone on the Sunday then left Monday evening on a 2200 mile round trip. These things rarely come up for sale so when you see one its just gotta be had. Its a one owner that has been stood (outside :er: ) for 30 years. I think they call it a 'next to' a barn find. Its certainly the biggiest (read craziest) project we have taken on.

Newtomud...not gunna race you to MOT station cos this project is in a queue behind our '64 Type 34 razoredge which is pretty much done and ready for the show season. Then we're gunna build a 356 Speedster rep. Then we have a '69 911 body, a set of 930 turbo wide front and rear wings, a 3.0SC motor that will all go together to make a 911RSR rep.... So the barn door has been sort of stripped and is going in to the corner of the workshop. having said that - its 60 years old next year so we kinda want to get it restored during 2014 so there is a good chance it will leapfrog other projects.

Sorry Newtomud - i feel like I've hijacked your thread...sorry about that bud

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Thats must be some sizeable garage.

Back on subject, whats the latest on the leading?