Huw's '89 SJ 410

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Huw's '89 SJ 410

Post by twiss » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Ooooh it will go well with the 1.6 in it!!!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:15 am

After a long day yesterday, I got loads of stuff done on the SJ. I got the soft top body off the chassis and cleaned up and painted the engine. Now I need to finish re-assembling the engine, attach it to the gearbox and mount it into the chassis.
When I took the body off I noticed a bit of rust on the chassis, luckily it's only surface rust and it will only take 30 mins to sort out. Hopefully I will be able to sort the engine and gearbox out this week and I'll be able to put it into the chassis over the weekend.
As for the SJ that's at home, I've got a front end and all the panels for it now. They're all in good condition and just need painting and bolting on. I've done some work on welding it up, but there's a lot more to do!
I'll post some photos when I can

Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by HuwJones » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Well, not much has happened since the last post. So here's what's happened so far.

Chassis - the chassis has been sandblasted repairs carried out and painted with anti rust primer, undercoat then a top coat of shiny black paint. I have to admit, it looks good!

Rear Axle - The rear axle has been rebuilt, new wheel bearings, new break components (apart from drums, they were good)

Suspension - The springs have been vapour blasted, reassembled and painted. New bushed and new shocks have been bought. All of the components for the 2" lift have also been cleaned and painted.

Steering - Steering box is currently being rebuilt with new bearings and oil seals. I've designed some spanners to tighten the bearing pre-loading nut and locknut, I'm just waiting for the laser cutters to make them and send them. I was originally going to attach a Vauxhall Corsa power steering unit, but I've decided not to because for day to day use, the steering is fine on the SJ, as long as the correct tyres are used.

Brakes - I've rebuilt the back brakes, everything new apart from the drums. I've ordered some custom length PTFE, Stainless steel braided brake hoses from HEL. Just over £100 and I'm very pleased with the quality of them!

Gearbox - I'm unsure if the gearbox is in good condition or not, but the guy I bought it off said it was good. So I'm taking a slight risk in using it, but I'm sure it will be fine! It's been cleaned and fitted to the 1.6 Vitara engine using the adapter plate.

Engine - The engine came out of a running car which I saw running prior to it being removed so I am happy with it. The appropriate starter has been bought, and I will send it to be checked soon. The rest of the engine has been cleaned and painted red (I want a certain wow factor when opening the bonnet) I have been told that the SJ bonnet gets too close to the top of the engine to be able to use the Vitara air box. I will wait and see how close it gets, but my plans are to try and use a flat air filter, and put the intake via a bonnet scoop. I'm not too sure about that yet, I'll have to wait until it's all assembled.

T-box and props - there is a small oil leak from the gasket between the two halves of the casing on the Transfer box. that needs to be dealt with before I clean and paint it. I will then clean and paint the prop shafts. I replaced all of the UJs on the prop shafts when the vehicle was still running. Apart from the front prop shaft. They will need to be inspected and replaced if worn.

Front Axle - I have done nothing yet with the front axle. I will see if the callipers will need rebuilding, and see what will happen from there. But for now, it will need at least to be cleaned and painted.

Body - I am not to sure what to do with the body. I have two, one "van" body and the original soft top body. The soft top body will need new sills, rear door, floor pans and a patch putting behind the passenger side door. It's all possible, but I'm not sure what to do, use the soft top of van body. I'm currently leaning towards using the soft top body and making a removable back to it.

Electrics - The electrics in the Soft top body which I am thinking of using are knackered. the previous owner might have been a good fitter (Judging by some of the repairs that had been carried out) but he was an awful electrician! Almost everything needs to be sorted out, from the headlights, to the ignition system, bumper lights and interior fittings like stereo and lights! But, I have a reasonably good idea what I am doing with electrics, so I'm confident I can repair them.

Bumpers - I was thinking about using the Land Rover "bubble" type lights on the back bumper, but I then thought that they will end up being quite venerable on the bumper. So my current plans are to use the standard SJ light cluster unit, but replace the insides with LEDs. The bumpers I had were a bit rotten to say the least. So what I will be doing is making my own. Not too sure of the design yet.

As a whole, the SJ is in pieces. The chassis is completely bare.

I'm away for two weeks with the Army Cadet Force. a "holiday" with about 400 12-18 year old, and about 120 other Adult Instructors in the South of England doing various things from TIBUA (training in built up area, always a favourite with cadets) to kayaking, climbing, paintballing.
After that, I have a weekend of kayaking with the other half. Then head down with the SJ and get it back on the road! After all of this, it will hopefully last a good few years!

Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.