Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Anton's build

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 pm

You know, somehow I missed the redrilling step in Andy B's writeup about the rear disc brake conversion. I have no idea how I missed it, but I did.

I read it many moons ago, and I was doing the conversion from memory. For some reason, I thought it'd bolt right up with no mods.

Now I'm feeling like a total noob... :p
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 pm

One of those moments.

Are you putting a cage in/on then for the jago conversion?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Jordi wrote:One of those moments.

Are you putting a cage in/on then for the jago conversion?
6 point. God yes. And harnesses (3 point minimum).

I've put the SJ on it's side, as has Scottie, and with a plastic body, that just spells hospital.

Me no likee hospital.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm

That would be the only thing to put me off fitting a jago body, I would end up destroying it :lol: at least you can knock dents back out with a metal body :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Knock em' out / paint over them without getting fibre glass spelcks.

Thats the only issue with fibre glass and slight knock and it crumbles.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Anton

Post by Anton » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:58 pm

ScottieJ wrote:That would be the only thing to put me off fitting a jago body, I would end up destroying it :lol: at least you can knock dents back out with a metal body :lol:
Jordi wrote:Knock em' out / paint over them without getting fibre glass spelcks.

Thats the only issue with fibre glass and slight knock and it crumbles.
It bends and flexes quite a lot before it breaks, and when it does you just knock up some polymer mix, sand it back and basically glue it back together.

As long as you don't *loose* bits, it's a piece of cake to repair GRP, and even if you DO loose bits, you can make new bits real easy.

And bare in mind, you're taking a lot of weight off up high - I can pick up a Jago body on my own.

I'm hoping to make a fibreglass replica of a real SJ floor, and glass that into the Jago body. Then modify the mould so it fits around the body *and* floor, so that if someone does want to do this after me, they can just borrow the mould and with a few hours work, they've got a body that will literally just bolt right up.

We'll see if/how that happens when the car is mechanically alive and well! :lol:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Sounds good. I like the idea of the bolt on swap for those that fancy doing the same.

Its doesn't bend that far. Fibre glass is a pretty solid, brittle, material in my experience. The quick fix is great though, no welder required!

No more rust either!

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:56 am

Jordi wrote:Sounds good. I like the idea of the bolt on swap for those that fancy doing the same.
Quite a lot of people do this conversion - I thought it might be good to make it easier for people that follow me.
Jordi wrote:Its doesn't bend that far.
Depends on what you mean by that - verses a parking "ding", it does. Verses a tree whilst offroading, it doesn't...
Jordi wrote:Fibre glass is a pretty solid, brittle, material in my experience. The quick fix is great though, no welder required!

No more rust either!
No more rust is why I'm making an all-new GRP floorpan, rather than just cutting out my current one and "persuading" it to fit.

I'll run some box section between the chassis rails for the seat mounts.

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Before:

After:

Made a new "bumper" (of sorts) today, cut down the bullbar and welded that in (needed hammering straight - ish - first).

The idea is that the MOT man might not like the fact that where the bullbars were, they ran right across the headlights - so I lowered the thing so the bars now surround the headlights, rather than cut through 'em.

Still need to finish it off. Got to weld the ends closed, might do a 45 degree angle to make it more "rounded" - just so the MOT man doesn't moan too much about sharp edges.
Last edited by Anton on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri May 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Don't see the point in making the box section ends 45*. So long as its smooth it'll be fine.

The uprights of the bull bar are edge on 5mm? Plate anyway. That'll be the sharpest bit on the front.