Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Anton's build

Post by Anton » Tue May 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks Edweird. I thought it made the SJ look a bit like it's got eyebrows...

Someone pointed out that the Lada Niva also has indicators and sidelights there too. I have a soft spot for Niva's, my mum had one 30 years ago...

Before anyone asks, the cable tie stops the spring from dropping down and holding the throttle fully open. I really should raise the mount point on the other end of the spring, but that little field medic fix worked so well I never got around to doing the job properly...

It was an offroad only toy, keep that in mind! Gotta go back and redo all the bodges now...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 pm

That SU looks about. Million years old :lol: not sure if the dash pot is custom made or not but the body looks like an older style SU carb, might be worth swapping it out for a hif44 so it's easier to get parts for :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue May 21, 2013 10:42 pm

its a HS, HD, or H of some sort. Cant see enough from the pic
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 pm

I recognise that SU. Fairly sure Noah had it on ebay.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 am

Wow! That really is an antique! Looks like an old style H8 type carb, judging from the dashpot and top of the float

Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed May 22, 2013 1:31 pm

It's a genuine SU? It was sold to me as one, but I assumed it was a knockoff when I saw pics of other people's SU's. This one was for an MG Miget or something like that (he said it was for a 1500cc).

It looked new when I got it, and the fella I got it from said something about it being new, so I assumed it was a Chinese knockoff.

Car runs lovely with it on, and I did consider getting an HIF 44 instead, but if the plan is to swap out the engine for an M15 with throttlebodies...

Gotta ask yourself, is it worth replacing something that works if it's just coming out again soon?

Twiss - that looks familiar - it's been a long, long time since I took it apart (as much out of curiosity as anything) but from memory, that could be what I've got there. Or maybe a Chinese knockoff of that! ;)

EDIT: I'll take some more photos of it when I get back down there, to help satiate everyone's curiosity. :D
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon May 27, 2013 9:23 am

Yesterday, between talking to some Sun reporter and a photographer, I went to sort the rear lights on the SJ. The bulb holders are a mess - it's going to be easier to just blank off the apertures and fit the landrover lights, I think.

The other day I found out that the windscreen wipers have stopped working too.

*Another* job added to the list! Ho-hum, it shall not defeat me! I will be victorious! Actually, I'll be Anton, but...

;)

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Fri May 31, 2013 7:54 am

Anton wrote: Ho-hum, it shall not defeat me! I will be victorious! Actually, I'll be Anton, but...

;)
:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:02 am

Finally got the chance to finish the caliper mounts and replace the windscreen yesterday.

Windscreen is chipped, but I know a man who can fix that. I guess I'll be throwing him some beer tokens pretty soon. ;)

Lets see if I can find the time to strip down the callipers today. They need painting and rebuilding like I did with the front ones. Then I can finally get the brakes finished!
Last edited by Anton on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 am

Getting there then bud.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank