Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Anton's build

Post by Anton » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Ok, gingerly drove the 200 yards or so to the test centre, and dropped off the SJ this afternoon.

It failed. On:
  • Offside winscreen wiper is not touching the windscreen in the middle (the new one is bowed slightly)
  • Nearside headlamp is aimed too high
  • Rear fog lamp isn't working (actually it is - just only on main beam, because I was told that's how it's supposed to work - this may have been wrong)
  • Front steering arm (actually, it's the steering damper) has "relative movement at it's fixings" - the bushes are worn out. ;)
  • Nearside front axle swivel joint has excessive play (sounds to me like it needs new kingpin bearings?)
  • Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content excessive
  • Rubber bush perished on driver's side body mount (the one under the driver's foot) lose
Advisories:
  • Temporary fuel cap fitted
  • Offside rear inner wheel arch corroded (it's not, there's a split - I guess their computer has a limited number of things it can list)
I'm actually happy with that list, believe it or not - I'm not driving it anywhere with those rear halfshafts/backing plates/whatever wobbling about like that, so it's not going to be moving for a while, but at least now I have a list of things I need to work on.

Yeah, it'd have been nice if it'd have just passed - but now I have a list of easy fixes.

Well, apart from the axles - I think I need to pull both axles and do a complete overhaul of both of them. Check them for trueness (thinking of using a laser level for this), then fit all new bearings and seals.

Also want to get my x-eng handbrake kit onto the 410 t-case, build it a nice heavy duty bucket to live in, and mount it with new heavy duty mounts both sides (going to cut off the suzuki mounts and fit something much, much meatier).

So that's it for now, the SJ is definitely not going on the road for a while yet, as the axle rebuilds are going to take *a while*.

Still, I got a taste of what she drives like on the road - and even at pedestrian speeds, she's a fun little beast! Couldn't feel the shudder that the rear axle should've been causing, but I did hear the brakes squeak a bit.

So the (re)build continues. New goals, new timetable. I'm going to take a little break though, until I can afford everything I'll need to rebuild the axles. I'll just do the rest of the little MOT failure jobs in the meantime, and talk to a man I know who should know a thing or two about tuning SU's. I think I'm running *crazy* rich...

But the SJ's been out today. That's all she's getting until I can afford to sort out the rest of the problems. Still, it's good to have an official list to work off of! Next MOT should have me fly through with no failures at all, hopefully!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:00 pm

I know its no surpise but still a shame you haven't got it through.

Not too much of a list there and nothing too major. Surprised they never picked up on the axle.

May the work continue bud.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Your fog lights should work when on dip-beam, not high beams. Some cars they actually work on side-lights too.

Just wind up your idle screw to pass the carbon monoxide test.

I got a replacement lockable petrol cap on eBay. It's good too, better than the standard one I had before I lost it.

Click Here for Ebay Listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOCKING-FUEL- ... 5d3e310d01
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:15 am

Jordi wrote:I know its no surpise but still a shame you haven't got it through.

Not too much of a list there and nothing too major. Surprised they never picked up on the axle.

No, not a major surprise - I had my fingers crossed, but I wasn't expecting too much. I'll sort out the little stuff over the next couple of days, but the axle stuff is going to require more time/effort/money than I have available at the moment.

Still, I have no intention of giving up - if I have to, I'll get a new rear axle! I have a 413 case sitting around, I'd love to full float it and chuck it under - but no money to do that!
Edweird wrote:Your fog lights should work when on dip-beam, not high beams. Some cars they actually work on side-lights too.
Really? I'm getting conflicting information here, and I can't find anything definitive on the VOSA website (not saying it's not there, just that I can't find it). I would imagine that if you wired them up to the dips, they'd *also* need to work on high, surely?

Anyone know what the official story is? Can I just rewire them into the sidelights and have them work on sides, dips and mainbeam, or do I have to rewire them so they work only on dip/main?

Or do I have to wire them up so they don't work except on dips?
Edweird wrote:Just wind up your idle screw to pass the carbon monoxide test.
I already wound up my idle to 1100 for the test, and still got 7.88% (pass mark is 4.5%). I have a feeling I could wind that up to 6000rpm and I'd still fail!

Colourtune time, I think.
Edweird wrote:I got a replacement lockable petrol cap on eBay. It's good too, better than the standard one I had before I lost it.
I have an ebay list for SJ bits, I'll put that on there for when I'm not so *monumentally* skint...

The misfuelling fiasco has left me wanting for funds.

:cry:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:20 am

Anton wrote:
Jordi wrote:I know its no surpise but still a shame you haven't got it through.

No, not a major surprise - I had my fingers crossed, but I wasn't expecting too much. I'll sort out the little stuff over the next couple of days, but the axle stuff is going to require more time/effort/money than I have available at the moment.

Still, I have no intention of giving up - if I have to, I'll get a new rear axle! I have a 413 case sitting around, I'd love to full float it and chuck it under - but no money to do that!
Edweird wrote:Your fog lights should work when on dip-beam, not high beams. Some cars they actually work on side-lights too.
Really? I'm getting conflicting information here, and I can't find anything definitive on the VOSA website (not saying it's not there, just that I can't find it). I would imagine that if you wired them up to the dips, they'd *also* need to work on high, surely?

Anyone know what the official story is? Can I just rewire them into the sidelights and have them work on sides, dips and mainbeam, or do I have to rewire them so they work only on dip/main?

Searching google only brought this up, which seems to suggest (under section 16) that they should work on dips.
Edweird wrote:Just wind up your idle screw to pass the carbon monoxide test.
I already wound up my idle to 1100 for the test, and still got 7.88% (pass mark is 4.5%). I have a feeling I could wind that up to 6000rpm and I'd still fail!

Colourtune time, I think.
Edweird wrote:I got a replacement lockable petrol cap on eBay. It's good too, better than the standard one I had before I lost it.
I have an ebay list for SJ bits, I'll put that on there for when I'm not so *monumentally* skint...

The misfuelling fiasco has left me wanting for funds.

:cry:

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:38 am

Suzuki wire them so they work on high or low beam.
Attachments
Headlight foglight.jpg
Headlight foglight.jpg (98.26 KiB) Viewed 5530 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:15 am

My fog light is wired independently, its not an MOT fail but apparently would fail an IVA like that bizarrely :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm

ScottieJ wrote:My fog light is wired independently, its not an MOT fail bit would fail an IVA like that bizarrely :lol:
Was just going to say mine is wired independently so can be switched any time. I think the mot man just turns it on and off when the lights are on so dosent notice :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Mine is usually at 12% CO when I take it for a test. It plummets dramatically when you turn up the idle.

As for the fog lights, I wasn't very clear. They have to work on dip-beam AND high beam but can be indepentant.
Last edited by Edweird on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:47 pm

2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!