Insurance with a modified sj

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
marve114
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Insurance with a modified sj

Post by marve114 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:14 pm

I’m currently insured with Adrian flux on a classic policy

Got wheels and shackles declared £120 a year

Now I spoke to them about the possibility of doing some upgrades mainly the 1.6 conversion they said to me ok mr Jerome we would have to cancel your classic policy and start a modified vehicle policy.

No worry’s I said tell me how much

He continued on and it come out at in excess of £500

I nearly trucking fell over

He was asking what Jp the 1.6 was what year it was etc

Any similar experiences ??

marve114
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Insurance with a modified sj

Post by marve114 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Just spoke to performance direct
With a 1.6
4” lift
External roll cage

£316 a year that I could live with

Rabid Rhino
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Rabid Rhino » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:06 pm

When I used to run Rhino Riders we had a deal for members for cheap insurance with a Lloyds Syndicate. (Membership had its privileges.)
They got us 2 prices irrespective of vehicle or mods. 150 TPFT or 195 Fully Comp.... per year as long as you were over 21.
I was getting a quote once & the broker said "Tell me about all the mods. The more mods the cheaper the insurance"
"THE MORE MODS, THE CHEAPER THE INSURANCE" Who says that ?

I'm still with them & my Vitara right now in Brum with an 8" Leigh Lift, 35" Swampers, Front & Rear Winch Bars, Locker, Twin Transfer Cases, Rear Disc Brakes and a whole bunch more stuff is still sub 250 Fully Comp but with sub 3,000 annual miles, but who really does more than that in their off roader.

Maybe its something the powers that be on this site could look into.

marve114
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by marve114 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:38 am

Wow that really is good

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:56 pm

The thing with insurance is that the prices they give you are based on what the underwriters believe your risk factors are. They're not interested in your *actual* circumstances - they just make assumptions about you based on age, driving history, what kind of car you drive etc.

For example, when I took the back seats out of my SJ, the underwriters saw "2 seater" and the price more than doubled. Because their computer thinks that anything with 2 seats is going to be a sportscar, and therefore they assume that my chances of crashing just went up because I'll drive it like I stole it. And that when I do crash, I'll be doing 120mph.

In the real world that makes no sense *at all* but try telling their computer that.

It's all about statistical probabilities, not about your actual circumstances. 99.9% of classic cars are treated with huuuge care and attention, and driven like Mrs Daisy is in the back. 99.9% of modified cars are driven by young, inexperienced, impatient drivers who have no times for trifles like installing parts professionally, or speed limits, road rules etc.

You're dealing with a flawed system that doesn't care about reality, it cares about the odds and how they can be stacked to make the most amount of money with the least amount of risk.

*Edit* - Lloyds is an underwriter, so the guy on the phone could manipulate things that other brokers cannot. That guy clearly knew how to stack the odds in a way the computer found acceptable, and/or he had permission to calculate odds without computer oversight.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:46 pm

I use Adrian flux, under £300 fully comp, unlimited miles, business use etc all on a highly modified SJ, I've been with them for around 5 years now but the price has always been in that area.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Exactly the same as Scottie.

All mods declared, fully comp with Adrian Flux, been with them about 10yrs.

Pay under £300 a year.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:53 pm

The LJ with all mods declared and a newly agreed value of £10K (yes ten grand lol I think the £50 respray made the truck look worth more in their eyes) is now £104 with Flux. And I almost went elsewhere thought that was a rip off.
If it ticks over...leave it