MOT Failure would be an understatement

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
MrShuffle
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

MOT Failure would be an understatement

Post by MrShuffle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:16 pm

So I got my Sj410 tested over the weekend. I knew that there was a problem with the axle (as in it wasn't really attached to much) and the tyres weren't the best. I'd planned on getting both of these repaired and I've got a set of u bolts and leaf spring perches to tighten everything back up...

But went to get the post mortem and was handed a rather large list shall we say. Quite a few things it failed on are what I'd planned to replace as I said above and I knew it'd need a bit of welding so I wasn't expecting a pass I'm not that deluded but the bearings and then emissions problem weren't planned for.

I'm not afraid to spend some money on it as I want to preserve it and keep it on the road but my question is: is it really worth spending a grand and a bit more when I paid £1750 for the car a few months ago and I've got a long list to work through to get it back up and running?

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated! Even if it is just to poke fun at my large list where it might have been easier to write what isn't an issue.
Attachments
20190427_175357.jpg

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: MOT Failure would be an understatement

Post by Jordi » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Not that bad really.

Knackered tyres. Some rot to sort and some general wear and tear maintenance. Shackle pins, bearings, brakes.

I’d just crack on work through the list.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:23 pm

My gray one was way worse than that. I knew it would fail when I took it, but that just gave me a list of things to fix.

That shouldn't cost a grand to fix unless you're going to get the work done somewhere expensive - if you sort the mechanical bits yourself you could have all that stuff sorted for a couple of hundred in parts, if that.

As for the rust - pics would help us to help you there. I have a little bodywork to do on my red one, I've been wondering if I could braze in new metal rather than weld...

Just thinking out loud there, not making a suggestion.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7184&start=153
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Looks all pretty simple to me, the rear wheel bearing is pretty easy to change and that will probably fix the brake imbalance as well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

MrShuffle
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by MrShuffle » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:44 pm

Quick update - I've been told that I need a new axle because the old one is leaking and it's not holding fluid? This is where I'm out of my depth if I'm honest. I've currently left the car with my dad as I'm at work all day so I don't have the time to take it anywhere.

Found an axle casing - is this what I need or does it need a full axle? Or can it be fixed?

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Whoever told you that, please don't ask for their advice on Suzuki's again.

You don't throw away an axle that starts leaking, you change the seals. Throwing away an axle because one of the seals went bad is like scrapping a brand new car just because it ran out of petrol. Doesn't make sense.

Find out which seal is gone, and replace it. Simples.

https://www.jimnybits.com/sj-samurai/se ... parts.html

Call them and make sure the bits you need are in stock, and that you're ordering the right thing (there are differences between 410 axles and 413 axles and Samurai axles, although I *think* that they all use the same seals/bearings etc).
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 am

Is it the seals?

Or has the axle rotted through? The usual place is the diff housing?

If it has rotted through you can just change the axle casing and swap every thing into it.

Just make sure the new case is the correct width. Later Samurai models has a wider axle compared to the older SJ413 and SJ410 models.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:45 pm

As jordi says, the axles can go porrus on the diff "pumpkin" mine went here and it weeped out diff oil.

Stick up some photos of the problem areas and some people should be able to suggest some fixes.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed May 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Jordi wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 am
Is it the seals?

Or has the axle rotted through? The usual place is the diff housing?

If it has rotted through you can just change the axle casing and swap every thing into it.

Just make sure the new case is the correct width. Later Samurai models has a wider axle compared to the older SJ413 and SJ410 models.
andyrew wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:45 pm
As jordi says, the axles can go porrus on the diff "pumpkin" mine went here and it weeped out diff oil.

Stick up some photos of the problem areas and some people should be able to suggest some fixes.
I didn't think of that! I suppose if the case has rusted through, the new axle advice might be good advice after all.

I think we need more info on where/how the axle is leaking.

Ju
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Ju » Sun May 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Never good to see a list that big but it is all work that can be carried out by an amateur with a bit of time and willing