Drying carpets

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
ThisStinkinVitara
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Drying carpets

Post by ThisStinkinVitara » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am

I traced a horrible damn smell to the carpet in my GV. I removed the seats, centre console and trims, pulled out the carpets and blasted them with TFR and a steam cleaner. I line dried the carpet for a few days before reinstalling the whole lot and enjoying a car that didn't smell. It was wonderful.
However....
Now the weather has turned I have a new damp smell.
I can only assume that some of the foams on the underside of the carpet hadn't fully dried.
Does anyone have any experience of drying carpets without removing them?
I really don't want to pull the whole interior out again.

Tar.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Drying carpets

Post by Anton » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:22 pm

You may have a leak in your heater, dripping water onto the carpets. If the smell wasn't there when the weather was warm, then I'd think your problem is a leak in the heater matrix pipework, dripping tiny amounts of water into the footwell.

I really doubt that the foam on the underside stayed wet and didn't smell before. I suppose it's possible, but I really doubt it.

Borrow a dehumidifier, run it in the car overnight and see if you can get rid of the damp smell - if it goes away and doesn't return, then you were right. If it goes away but returns, you have a leak.

Either way, I suggest a dehumidifier.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ThisStinkinVitara
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Drying carpets

Post by ThisStinkinVitara » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:46 pm

👍