Thoughts on a RAV4 as a capable off-road vehicle?

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
Samop
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Thoughts on a RAV4 as a capable off-road vehicle?

Post by Samop » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:20 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been doing a lot of shopping and I'm just not in love with the prices I'm seeing on used 4runners and Tacomas (I'm a bit of a Toyota guy). I can get a used 4wd RAV4 (the 4-cylinder version distance to valdosta georgia 120 pounds to dollars 280 euros to usd
) with much less mileage per dollar than with these more popular cars. How would this car serve me as a platform to build a good trail vehicle?

Thanks!
Last edited by Samop on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: Thoughts on a RAV4 as a capable off-road vehicle?

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:43 pm

Not sure what response you're expecting asking about Toyotas on a Suzuki forum :hahaha:

I would say they're terrible and you should get a SJ or Vitara instead, not biased, promise.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Thoughts on a RAV4 as a capable off-road vehicle?

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:42 pm

"Capable trail vehicle" - this means different things to different people.

My idea of a capable offroader is very different to Mike's - I was happy with an SJ on 31's when he felt 33's were waaay too small.

Rav4's are low in price for a reason. Hilux's go for a premium for a reason.

Even Suzuki 4x4's have price premiums when you look around - a good condition SJ costs a lot more than the equivalent condition Rav4, Shogun Pinin, or any other small 4wd.

A good SJ is the place to be if you want to make a really capable offroad vehicle without spending heart attack money. You can not get front and rear live axles in any other vehicle as economically.

They're easy and cheap to upgrade, parts are still available, so you can build a budget monster (whatever your definition of "monster" happens to be) far more easily and cheaply than any other base vehicle platform, even if that vehicle is initially cheaper (like the Rav4).

If you want comfort, look in the direction of the Vitara.

Thats an honest opinion. If money was no object then I'd point you in the direction of a couple of different vehicles but on a budget, nothing competes with the SJ/Samurai. Nothing.

Except maybe the Jimny, but I don't think you can get those.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map