Suzuki diesel recall......?

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
alexpratt46
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Suzuki diesel recall......?

Post by alexpratt46 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 am

Hi All,

I've just had a letter from Suzuki asking me to get a free software upgrade for my 1.6DDiS S-cross.

Has anyone else had the same letter and am I being paranoid or who else thinks this might be an attempt to remove "defeat software" before it is discovered and therefore claimed against....?

Would love everyone's thoughts and feedback on this issue.

Many thanks,

Alex

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Suzuki diesel recall......?

Post by RichyP » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:17 am

Check on the suzuki site it should be able to tell you, I remember back in 2016 there was a recall due to emissions but not sure if that would effect yours with it being a 17 plate?
Screenshot_20210413_061505_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

Larry
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Larry » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 am

I don't have a modern Suzuki and I know nothing about their newer engines but it does sound suspicious!

I'd be tempted to dig a little deeper and try and find out what the actual upgrades are before letting them touch your car. Although getting a straight answer may well be a challenge!

alexpratt46
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by alexpratt46 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks RichyP and Larry, I checked on the Suzuki site and it just tells me that yes there is a recall and to take the car to a dealer to get the work done. No details at all about the work or the reasons for the recall.....suspicious....?

I have also been digging deeper and have been advised that I can have the work done but I should in no way sign any documentation relating to the work as Suzuki may be attempting to negate my ability to apply for compensation re. the diesel emissions scandal. I agree Larry that most certainly in this case I am hardly likely to get a straight answer...

Thanks again guys.

RichyP
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by RichyP » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:43 am

I agree with Larry unless you get proof of what and why the work is being carried out I'd be suspicious to say the least. Hopefully you'll get a straight answer

k44rll
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by k44rll » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:50 am

A few guys on www.vivavitara.com have had the DDIS recall ECU flash and all appears well

Basically Suzuki sourced the 1.6 DDIS engine from Fiat who have allegedly been found out to not have the emissions they claimed so this new ECU update makes everything well in the world :yuk:

Karl

mayner001
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by mayner001 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:15 am

My wife and I both have Vitaras fitted with the DDiS engine, and we have now received several letters from Suzuki requesting that we take them in at our earliest convenience for an engine management software update. I've ignored the letters so far, on the assumption that Suzuki must have originally programmed the software with reliability, performance and fuel economy in mind. I'm highly suspicious that there will be some negative impact of the software update, and I've just found this article which appears to bear out my suspicions. I've attached a screenshot of the relevant section and a link to the full article. Thoughts? https://www.autoevolution.com/news/suzu ... 07011.html
Attachments
Screenshot_20210923-090159_Chrome.jpg