Getting used to my Vitara

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Sam the actor man
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Getting used to my Vitara

Post by Sam the actor man » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:13 pm

Hi

Just got my vit on the road, it was a present from my uncle, a '97 1600 with only 38k on the clock. Had to have a load of welding on the sills done and the rear wheel arch but hopefully it will last me a good few years yet.

The thing is when I drive home up a hill road, there is one adverse camber that occasionally the back end slips out on. I can catch it easily enough but it would be pain if there was something coming the other way. Is this something I just have to get used to and maybe ease off the accelerator at that bit or is this something I need to be worried about.

Also with the manual hub selectors, do both left and right both turn the same way ie clockwise as I look at them, or are they supposed to turn towards the front of the vehicle or the rear? (Does that make sense?)
Simon

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Getting used to my Vitara

Post by Darrell » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. Little weight on the back end and some tyre brands including right foot ;) can make them a little tail happy. Yes both the hub lockers go the same way. If your not familiar with Suzuki 4wd don't put it in 4wd on the tarmac/grippy surface. That's the transfer box, hubs can be locked in whenever you choose.
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Sam the actor man
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Sam the actor man » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Darrell wrote:Welcome to the forum. Little weight on the back end and some tyre brands including right foot ;) can make them a little tail happy. Yes both the hub lockers go the same way. If your not familiar with Suzuki 4wd don't put it in 4wd on the tarmac/grippy surface. That's the transfer box, hubs can be locked in whenever you choose.
Thanks, much appreciated. I'd picked up that I'm not meant to be in 4wd on tarmac, only where there is less grip but couldn't understand the hub selector bit. Is there any benefit to having them locked or unlocked?

I'm probably only a month or so away from having to buy new tyres as it had been standing for a couple of years so the side walls are split slightly. So I'll have to work a couple of extra shifts next week and buy them early.

Just had to pay out for the welding as the sills were rotten as well, shame as first MOT guy said he'd never seen one this age with such a sound chassis and engine but apparently rusting sills is a Vitara thing ;)

Simon

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi :welcome: enjoy your vit
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:48 pm

To save wear on the front drivetrain leave them unlocked until you go offroad. They are then ready as soon as you put it in 4wd. Don't wait until your stuck in a muddy hole :thumbup:
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:18 pm

I always found with my samurai you could get a little bit more performance out of it with the hubs unlocked... not much but over a long distance you notice the fuel economy, and you will notice the top speed slight increase
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:32 am

It's probably just the tyres. Old tyres go hard and don't trip as well and like to slide out, I used to have a vit with some old AT tyres on the back that were useless, it was fun "accidentally" going sideways everywhere :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Sam the actor man
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Sam the actor man » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks all. Great advice :)

Yep it's a bit of fun but could do without it on the way to work when I'm still half asleep lol

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:38 pm

If they are the original Bridgestone HTs then they were very poor in the wet when they were new. You should make sure that the tyres aren't over-inflated as well 23psi is all they should be.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:46 am

The tyre pressures on the Vitara are critical,i run mine at the factory suggested 23psi all round and that is even with the 2ltr V6,i did try a higher setting but the Vit was all over the road,it hated it,but as soon as they had 23psi in it grips very well.

On my old Izusu Trooper i found it run better at 36psi but that was with the 2.8td heavy lump in it,so i tried using those settings on the Vitara,drastic mistake.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.