Hi from a new proxy member....

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
andrewn
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Hi from a new proxy member....

Post by andrewn » Wed May 03, 2017 12:56 pm

My daughter has just bought her first new car - a white 2017 Vitara. I'm looking for a bit of advice as I'm installing a dash-cam in the car for her and I can't find the alleged dashboard fusebox. The owner's manual is very slim on details unfortunately.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

--A.

SZ5
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Hi from a new proxy member....

Post by SZ5 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi, welcome :welcome: I have an older 2010 Grand Vitara. I used a mirror mount dash cam and fed the cable behind the trim and across under the glove box. I've just plugged into one of the two lighter sockets as these are only live when the ignition is on. I was tempted to tap into the cables feeding the lighter socket but wasn't sure if the dash cam plus had any fuses / gizmos that protected the cam. The fuses on mine are up under the dash by the drivers feet.

Manuals can be downloaded from Suzuki website - mine did show where the internal fuses were located.

Photos and updates would be good once you have sorted it as we are seeing some newer Suzuki models on here.

Cheers SZ5
Just washed, not a leak from the engine!

Malbutler
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Malbutler » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:20 pm

I’ve just taken delivery of an SZ-T automatic with auto stop start and found the dash cam I fitted using the under dash power socket goes off when the vehicle stops at lights but doesn’t come back on when you start off again. You have to unplug and plug it back in to switch the camera back on. Alternatively you can switch off auto stop start but that’s not environmentally friendly. Do I need to permanently wire the camera to a spare fuse to allow it to function properly?

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:07 pm

That sounds very odd - does the radio turn off when the stop/start kicks in?

It sounds like accessory 12v is being turned off when the stop/start restarts the engine, if that's the case then you either need to wire it directly to a battery 12v supply, or alternatively add a capacitor, with diodes to stop the capacitor draining back into accessory live when accessory live isn't supposed to be live.

Wiring directly into 12v from the battery will mean the camera won't turn off when you shut the car down. Adding a capacitor and diode(s) would allow the camera to function for a few seconds without power from accessory live, but then it would shut off as normal. That's the way I'd do it, personally.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map