Buy or Not Buy that is the question !

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
smallzoo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Buy or Not Buy that is the question !

Post by smallzoo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi

I have joined this forum to see whether the jimmy would be suitable for my needs. I only do about 3k miles a year 80% of that less than 10 mile journeys town and country lanes. 20% less than 50miles. I am a carer and look after my Mum who is 97 but very able. I need a reliable ( obviously not fast ! ) car that shouldn't need to much expensive maintenance and will keep going most weathers.....

I have always loved the jimmy shape and style bu now my old estate will run out of its MOT in two weeks and needs too much work.

This is the big trouble.. I only have about £1500 or less to spend !

I have contacted a few on auto trader over the last week and they either dont seem willing to discuss what issues and one lady said when I asked about rust "Yes it’s got rust it’s 20 years old anus it’s been smoked in it is what it is!"

Any advice would be great

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Buy or Not Buy that is the question !

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:25 am

Hello :welcome: we have a soft top in the family, lifted, larger tyres and 1.6 conversion, yes it’s old, it’s boot is rusting out and can be unreliable. But a great laugh.
A mate has a tin top that’s totally standard, agin about the same age, it has the same problem in the boot, but not as bad as the soft top. It’s had a lot of problems over the last six months with reliability.
There isn’t loads of room in them, long journeys can get uncomfortable, soft tops can be noisy and cold. Yeah they’re 20 years old so they need tlc which isn’t a problem for me, I have the space and tools to do repairs as needed. Would I buy a 20 year old car as my everyday car without the ability to work on it

No, not a 20 year old
Sorry
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Anton

Re: Buy or Not Buy that is the question !

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:54 pm

You can get a 2009/2010 Suzuki Swift for the kind of money you're talking about, Jimny's are expensive because they're so great offroad. Nothing that size offers you a true 4x4 (solid axles front and rear, low ratio etc).

The modern 4x4 market is stuffed to the gills with independent suspension vehicles, not even Land Rover makes a true 4x4 anymore (the new defender is independent front and rear!!!). The all-new Jimny is going for MORE second hand (up to 3 grand in many cases) because people are so desperate to get their hands on them. Suzuki just can't build them fast enough.

If you want 4wd because you're worried about snow etc on the roads, look at the SX4 4grip or the Grand Vitara 1.6. You can get a 2007 model for your budget, maybe newer if you're careful. Just bear in mind that this is exactly the wrong time to be buying a 4wd. The prices go up in winter.

Having said that, if it were me I'd still get the Jimny. But I love offroading...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map